180 grain Accubond loads for a .308 win

4ked Horn

Hey everyone. I've decided to use the 180 gr accubond for my bear if I get the chance. I will be shooting a Rem VLS chambered in .308 Win.

I am looking for your input on loads any of you have found to be accurate with this bullet.
Please do me one favor though, if you don't mind, let me know in which manual your loads max charge is published. (I'm weird that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Thanks a ton folks.

Don't know what the max load would be but I would say 42-44 gr of Varget should work really well. I took two bear last spring with a 175 MatchKing over 45 gr of Varget.
Good hunting!

I've had the best luck with this bullet over Varget in my Savage in .308. I've loaded from 42 grains to 44 grains. I found that 44 was really pushing the pressure limits in my 26" barrel, and dropped back to 43 grains. I have not found much published on loads for this bullet. I determine max loads for my rifle based on accuracy first, and case indications second. I think you will like this bullet.

Horn,
With all due respect you might be making a slight mistake in settling on a particular bullet without consulting with your rifle first. I would not argue the merits of the Accubond but I would also try the Interbond since Hornady now has it out in a 180. I would get my hands on a box of each and a pound of Varget, then do what Chris suggested and start at 42.0 and work up in half grain increments. Your groups and pressure signs will indicate which bullet your rifle and Varget work best with. We load all of our .308 Win. ammo out at 2.830" so they will feed nicely through the mag, overall length is another bug-boo that can really effect accuracy, but that length works in several rifles.
Good luck in your preparations - getting ready for a hunt is a big part of the sport.

Chris I assume this was with a .308. What were the distances and was it a heart lung or were you going for shoulder bones?

Ian.

I hear and understand. I would like to do this and will try if the funds are available. However I may have to pick a bullet and adjust the powder and the OAL to make it work the best that it can. I have had great results with almost every bullet I have run down my bbl if I spend the time to pick the right powder component. I already have a number of suitable powders to try so this may be the variable that gives me the most leeway (and can afford). I will of course work up to a suitable (safe and accurate)load. I just like to weed out the "I shoot 46 grains of unique cuz uncle bob used to do it. Worked for him and works for me." sort of recipies. Thats why I request a published max when some one gives an exact recipie.

As I prepare for this hunt please jump in and give me your thoughts. I am reading all of them with much attention.

I sure hope I get the draw.

4ked horn
one was at 13 yards- shot him right between the eyes the other was at 150 yards through both shoulders. I have taken a bunch of different animals with a MK including two buffalo a month ago (one with the 308 and one 425 yard shot with a Lapua- that 300gr MK penetrated over 40 inches and was a nice mushroom on the opposite side!) My rifle shoots the MK the best so that's what I hunt with! Black bears in my opinion are not really tough game and kill easily.

This question is for both Chris and Ian (and whomever else wants to answer) and is a slight hijacking og my own thread but we can keep it short. Why is there the perception that bear are so hard to put down. I know I think that for some reason, but why I wonder.

Smaller bears are not hard to kill, but even small bears can chew and scratch the heck out of a human so they should be approached with caution. Same size as a deer but way more potential to hurt you. BIG bears are tougher to kill. Much more heavily boned than deer, much bigger muscles, more fat to contend with. Bottom line is, you wound a deer and follow him, put him down - he is not likely to chew on your ankle. You wound a bear and sometimes, very rarely, he decides that was not a nice thing for you to have done and he comes for you. Very rare but it happens so why not avoid that and put him on the ground first shot... Use the best bullet for that job and hit him right - no big deal.
Big autumn bears are different critters than big spring bears, their shape even changes. Big fall bears can be at least 20% heavier than in the spring, probably a bunch more - they got butts on them about like Opra's, maybe bigger. When they sit down they look like a big pear - big butt displacement. Belly about drags the ground when they walk. Ears are real tiny, not prominent. No lanky look to them, they swagger.
Big or little, hit the bear correctly and he is yours. All about control, so go for the nervous system initially and the game is in your hands. I like heavier bullets and stout construction solely for the raking or the "precision shots to the spleen" taken as he is going straight away. Nice to destroy the pelvis, blast the spinal column and still penetrate through a foot or two of gut-juice, then the diaghragm and into the lungs. Takes a stout bullet to do all that. When I did bear control I shot a lot of bears with 180 grain bullets ('06 factory loads), mostly going away shots and when I switched to 220 grainers my number of shots per kill dropped significantly.
Despite what you hear, they do not equate to whitetails. Mess up and they can really get your heart-rate cranked. I been there a few times - usually after dark and no fun. That is when the 870 with about 7 or 8 slugs in it got the call.
Hunting situations are more controled, but many times the bears come to bait at the end of legal light so you want to dump him right there.

I agree with Ian they should be approached with caution as he put it they will bite back, however- they die just the same- it's been my experience that animals react poorly to bullets- put a well thought out, well aimed shot into them and they will go down. But take Ian's advice over mine- he has a hell of alot more experience than I do!!!

Thanks Ian. I told you I was going to have a few questions for ya. I appreciate you straightening this question out for me.

Thanks to you Chris as well. It's good to have similar input come from forum members that I've seen posting good info for as long as I've been with the site.

Just a quick question well your on it. Shoulder or lungs which is best? Normally with all my game I try for a shoulder shot as it dumps um right there, but in your experiance which is best for bear? I ask only because I will be taking my teen daughter up to Maine on our first father-daughter bear hunt and am open to all info.

Thanks,
Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.