308 Win Black Bear Load?

barnesuser28

Would factory Remington 150 grain core-lockt bullets work for some montana black bear or should I pick up some federal loaded up with Barnes tsx in 150 or 165 grain? or Barnes Vor-tx loaded up with 150 or 165 grain TTSX?

When hunting a bear one might look at a 180gr bullet.....
Alliant has a new powder reloader-17 load data on their web site..
Loaded some of these in my 308 Win with a 180gr Speer BTSP bullet, 210M, and Fed cases the rifle is shooting a sub group and getting 2742 fps. Found a great deal of information on
RL-17 on Snipershide Sniper's Hide Forums - Forums powered by UBB.threads™ they are shooting a 208 gr Hornady 2600 fps and no pressure issues....
May be worth a try.....

Well thing is i have to use factory ammo because im leaving next week sunday for a guided bear hunt in montana and i dont have enough time to get a load worked up right now. But dont you think a 165 grain barnes would have enough retained weight to exit?

A lot of factors involved to guarantee an exit, but I'd say it's likely. Every one has preferences, I'd prefer a heavier "softer" bullet, but your down to the wire. Run what you brung it'll be all right. It's a better choice than making last minute changes in my opinion. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
I add that i have had a bad experience with the fusion bullets out of a 25-06. Shot a whitetail doe behind the shoulder at about 80 yards and the bullet penciled through. So shot it again this time in the neck and ended up hitting the vertebrae in the neck and that finished it.

I've always preferred the 165 grain boat-tail over the 150's or 180's. With bear you don't want complete penetration, you want an extensive wound channel. A bears lungs were compared to Goodyear Double Eagle tires as in they are both self sealing when punctured. You need tissue damage - not a small wound channel. Also remember, a bullet that passes through ANY animal carries a lot of wasted energy with it. The ideal load will leave the bullet under the skin on the off-side of your target. Great hunting to you!

ok i have a confession to make, it was my dad that went on the bear hunt not me, im 13.
anyway he shot a 5' 8" brown colored black bear at 175 yards on the last night with his 300 rum shooting 180 grain tsx in federal premium ammo at a 45 degree downward angle and spined it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.