308 win and the berger 215

Canadian Bushman

Im ready to re barrel my SA rem700 chambered in .308 and i have been kicking around the idea of using a 28" 1:10 lilja barrel to shoot the berger 215 hybrid or even the 210 accubond.

Is this a bad idea?

I would also consider doing a 284 win but i was under the impression that round is more easily utilized in a LA.

You guys have any experience or ideas you wanna share with me?

I know "MontanaMarine" sent some 215 Bergers from his 308 and I believe it was a 12 twist. He was encouraged with the results but agree a 10 would probably be better. The other day we were shooting and he was shooting 208 Amax's from this 308 rifle with great long range accuracy even at the 1122 yard target. I spotted for him while he put two (first being a cold bore) consecutive hits on a cantaloupe sized rock in the 750 yard range.

I guess my point is he is a good solid source of data if you want to go long with a 308 with heavy bullets. If he doesn't chime in here you could pm him.

Jeff

I shoot 210 Berger VLD's in my Rem 700 5R .308 with the 11.25" twist. If I do my part I can get them ¼-½ MOA @ 100 yards. They're moving about 2,400 fps out of my 24" barrel.

I now have a "pet load" with the 210's that works perfect for me if I need some heavy-hitters for hog hunting or LR shooting.

They look pretty evil, too... :cool:

Here's my Nosler Custom Comp 168 load that is seated to SAAMI spec of 2.810" (left). And my 210 VLD "pet load" (right).

141BAC15-9610-499A-8B6C-B4B68F499FFE-3091-000002C8F0907B95_zpsfc1af0d1.jpg

I read a thread of someone who pushed them close to 2600 from a 26" tube, but couldnt remember who or what load it was. It was probably him. Ill shoot him a message. Thanks broz

Mudrunner

I considered the 210 but it has a longer bearing surface than the 215 and i think i wont get the velocity i want out of it.

How much faster do you think you could push them with 4 more inches of barrel ?
What powder are you using , and how much?
Are you near max pressure?

I want it all with this new barrel.
Sub moa accuraccy - .5 is optimal
Good range / energy. - 1000 ft lbs @ 1k yds
Long barrel and case life - at least 2000 rounds and 10 reloads per case.

308 barrels can last over 10,000 rounds as long as your take care of it.

Ive heard this but personally never seen it, and have talked to a few guys that say they have set there barrel back after 2-3k rounds because throat erosion.
Nonetheless i see 2k round count as very achievable.

My biggest concerns are Mv and decreased accuracy from potentially increasing the time the bullet is spending in the barrel.
Im not a very steady guy.

I load the 208 Amax in my Remington LTR with a 20" barrel. My load is 2400 fps using Re-17. It is consistent out to 950+ yards. I think the heavy bullets are the way to go in a .308. Give it a shot, I think it will surprise you.

2400 in a 20" barrel sounds pretty dam good. I think re 17 is what montana marine was using.

Whats your powder charge?
Are you near max pressure?
Is re 17 an extruded powder?

Im ready to re barrel my SA rem700 chambered in .308 and i have been kicking around the idea of using a 28" 1:10 lilja barrel to shoot the berger 215 hybrid or even the 210 accubond.

Is this a bad idea?

You guys have any experience or ideas you wanna share with me?

Killed with 308 Sako, 24" D3 contour Oberymeyer 5R, 210 Berger VLD, IMR4064 break-in load that shot so well, I hunted with it for 3 seasons:

Yea, so, needless to say I think it is a great idea. Shot was 50 yards. Small hole in, maybe Quarter size out, and blood trail (30 yards) like he was stuck with a 5" broadhead.

Derek,

That is a good looking buck.

Imr 4064 is what im using now. I havent learned anything about how it does with the heavier bullets, but ive had good luck with it shooting middleweights.

Would you mind sharing your load and MV?

Don't mind at all, just no clue as to either. When I got the rifle shipped to me I emailed Walt Berger and used whatever he sent me for data if I recall correctly. I picked the charge that was about 1 grain under their max, used Lapua brass, a 210M primer and seated the bullet w/o taking into account how far off the lands it was at all. I just kept seating it a little deeper until it fit cleanly in the chamber.

Remember, the intent of this was to simply put a few bullets down the bore and I used the 210 simply because of the bearing surface.

When I put the first 5 down range at 100 yards and could cover the hole with a dime I was very pleased. I had 30 loaded up so I stopped after 5, cleaned the barrel, packed up everything and went home. Shot #6 went through the buck you see pictured. Then #s 7-10 put down some does.

So, I was very lucky to have a Sako action (kickass by the way) and an Obermeyer barrel (also kicks major ***).

Never put one of them through a chrono. Sorry.