308 tac drivers

I have a 700 ADL Varmint that I am running 168gr SMK's over 44grs of RL-15. Groups have been running around .307 center to center at 100yds. At 200 its a little over .5 center to center. These are five shot groups.

Never used it before, but tried some IMR 3031 for fun. It worked out really well with 168 a-max. I machine it would work well with the 168bthp. Also I use a lot of Alliant powders. AR Comp, Power Pro 2000MR, RL15, Ramshot Big Game. I got single digit extreme spreads with the AR comp easily with single digit SD's. RL15 is my go too for any bullet I have problems getting to shoot. I just recently used 4064 with 180SMK's with excellent results out to 500m. Shot a 4 shot group that measured .78MOA at 400m. Hain't too bad if you ask me. Power pro gives me the best velocity, but can be a little temperamental.

Using 168 gr or 175gr SMK's the Milspec is not finicky and it should be quite easy to get .25-.5MOA using IMR4895, Varget, or R15 42-44 gr, Lapua brass, Fed210M's. COAL 2.8"

I broke in three over the last 10 years. Shoot 1 and clean for 10 rounds, shoot 5 and clean for 10 rounds, shoot 20 and clean, done. I like BoretechCU+2.

Great info. From everyone. I really do appreciate the help and very useful advice. Got the scope ordered and have most of the powder mentioned in all the posts except for the varget. Think I will make 5 of a few and see what it likes.

Thanks again guys. It is all great help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.