Ramshot TAC for .308

I've been using Accurate 4064 in my .308 so far and it's "meh". Not the best accuracy and the charges are compressed quite a bit. I think my Tikka T3 308 can do better.
I realize this is an old post but if you are still around I have a question for you. I too shoot a Tika T3 308. I am going to BC for moose and the guide wants me to shoot 180 grain Barnes bullets triple shock. I have tried several different powers and I can't cut the paper of each shot. Best so far is like 3". With 150 grain Nosler Balastics I can put four at the same spot cutting the last shot. I don't know what powder to use I want to try TAC but haven't yet. I have won 748 and Varget neither do the trick. Any suggestions???

I realize this is an old post but if you are still around I have a question for you. I too shoot a Tika T3 308. I am going to BC for moose and the guide wants me to shoot 180 grain Barnes bullets triple shock. I have tried several different powers and I can't cut the paper of each shot. Best so far is like 3". With 150 grain Nosler Balastics I can put four at the same spot cutting the last shot. I don't know what powder to use I want to try TAC but haven't yet. I have won 748 and Varget neither do the trick. Any suggestions???
I believe yout Tikka has a 1-11" twist and it sounds like it's too slow for those 180 Barnes. Or at least your barrel doesn't like them. I know Chub Eastman took a moose in BC with a 30-06 and a 165 gr Nosler Partition. I'd try some 165 gr Partitions with the Varget or TAC.

Hmm well I ran the numbers on Berger's barrel twist calculator and the Barnes looks like needs a 1-9.75" twist at sea level. With a 1-11" it's marginally stable. I ran the numbers on a 30-180 Partition @ sea level going 2600 fps and it was fully stable with a 1-11" twist. You could confirm it by plugging in the numbers yourself. https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Load data at Nosler's site. https://www.nosler.com/load-data/caliber-and-cartridge-data.html

I'm at 44 gr of Tac also but do have some Big Game unopened so that may be my next load to try but pretty happy with Tac so far but as Cohunt said it is temp sensitive so watch for pressure spikes in hot weather with max or near max loads.
I had a 42.8 load if memory serves me right,that hit a great node that I could use at any season.

I'm at 44 gr of Tac also but do have some Big Game unopened so that may be my next load to try but pretty happy with Tac so far but as Cohunt said it is temp sensitive so watch for pressure spikes in hot weather with max or near max loads.
I had a 42.8 load if memory serves me right,that hit a great node that I could use at any season.
Pretty much the same for me with 168 gr CC or SMK's. TAC 44 gr is on the spicy side with my components and rifle. 42.8 gr gave me an accurate load that was safer during the hotter days. 100 degrees and more I generally don't shoot much anymore.

Hentzr,
I'd try a lighter monolithic bullet. You have to remember the velocities needed to make them perform correctly. The only .30 cal I run a 180 gr. Mono in is my .300 WM. For .308, I'd try the 150gr. TTSX or 168 TTSX at the heaviest. I'd stay away from the 165 TTSX in a .308. If the guide insists on a 180gr bullet, I'd look for an Accubond or Partition. Moose are not actually that hard to kill.

Pretty much the same for me with 168 gr CC or SMK's. TAC 44 gr is on the spicy side with my components and rifle. 42.8 gr gave me an accurate load that was safer during the hotter days. 100 degrees and more I generally don't shoot much anymore.
I set my last last chamber to min headspace. Things got really accurate between min headspace and seating at the lands. However,I found I'm always a grain under most charges I see posted. I paid a dollar per piece of Lapua brass so I'd like to get my Pennie's worth too! 🤣
So I'll go 43 max.

Of note it seems Berger 155.5 and 168VLD run slower than Hornady Amax in both weights.

I've done a lot of loading and experimentation with different calibers, different bullets, different powders, seting depth etc and have found if your rifle isn't accurate with a particular bullet, no amount of tweaking powders will make much of a difference. Your barrel likely simply doesn't like a 180 grain bullet. Going to a different brand of 180 grain might help but going to a different weight bullet will probably be your solution -- and likely to a lighter weight bullet.