Ramshot TAC for .308

Lee manual has165 Jacketed bullets with Tac starts at 40.6 gr and max is 45.2 gr.
I plan on loading 165 gr SST for my 308 and will start at 42.0 gr and go up .5 gr each change and expect around 44.8 to 44.9 but will go to 45.2 as long as I don't have any over pressure.1st time for Hornady bullets and Tac for me

Last edited:
You should be at about max load at 42.8 and 175gr.The Lee manual with 175 gr jacketed bullets.
Let me know how it shoots as I have 180 gr Ballistic Tip to try.
Yep Hornady has max charge for TAC in the 178-180 grain class to be 42.0 grains, but Western Powders has max charge for a 175 grain Nosler HPBT to be 42.8 grains. I'm hoping I will find a node in the mix I loaded.

I have not tried TAC in 308WW. I have had good luck with it in 223 case and wildcats from that parent case.

I see guys mentioning compressed loads like it's a bad thing. I myself prefer a casefull of powder to half empty or half full. If it is a $ thing, I won't go there. I tossed the idea of saving $ aside a long time ago, shortly after I started hand loading.
More times than not all my chrono numbers come together very nice with a full case.
I had been playing with a cartridge for almost too long. Results were scattered. Ended up with a case full of powder, everything is great now. Spreads are single digit, which can be tough to come by with some cartridges.

JSHKS mentioned a good point as there is safety for some rounds with a full case of powder as flash over can occur if there is a low amount of powder as it lays flat and the burn jumps to the front.It can blow a gun up.
An older fellow loaded his H&R single shot 45-100 and blew it up so on his next 45-100 he put his same low amount of powder and capped it off with cornmeal.Shot great but it smelled like someone cooking cornbread every time he shot but that prevented flash over form then on.

This is my 308 Win load with TAC.
308 TAC 2.jpg
308 TAC.jpg

44.5grs TAC
168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
Win. Case
WLRM Primer

Recent Posts