Ramshot TAC for .308

I've done a lot of loading and experimentation with different calibers, different bullets, different powders, seting depth etc and have found if your rifle isn't accurate with a particular bullet, no amount of tweaking powders will make much of a difference. Your barrel likely simply doesn't like a 180 grain bullet. Going to a different brand of 180 grain might help but going to a different weight bullet will probably be your solution -- and likely to a lighter weight bullet.
I'm with you 95% on this. I've found bullet/powder combos not work or work. Especially at a near max charge. I've switched powders on the same bullet and had success.

I've also observed the only seating depth changes to matter are touching lands or not.

I've tried to bring him into the 21st century, but he's one of the people who say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Thought he would have a seizure when he had to use 4166 because of no 4064. As soon as I can get him some 4064 from powder valley he will be back. He sent me a text last hunting season because cell service was poor but could get a text through. his 1st ever.
I'm another of the, "If it ain't broke don't fix it types." Been shooting IMR4320, Nosler 165/168 and Federal 210M, case doesn't seem to matter as long as matched by manufacturer. Shoot sub MOA all day for many years now out of my Winchester Model 70's. I trickle all rifle ammo, takes time but worth the accuracy. The Nosler partition 165 loads have been 1 shot 1 deer down on the ground without moving out to 270 yards. I don't shoot at anything living beyond 300 yards. 🥹

As others have previously noted, 180gr monolithic's are too long and heavy(slow) for the .308win, follow the Barnes guide where you drop your bullet weight class 1 or 2 times your typical choice for class of game, they have no problem staying together and penetrating like crazy(make sure there's no other game behind it) monolithic's need velocity to perform on game , and they prefer alot of bullet jump (and need a longer running start) to prevent steep pressure spikes , it's all in Barne's reloading manuals, My factory Ruger'merican 22" barrel likes handloads with the older Hornady Gmx, 165 grain and 2000-MR powder, this combination has taken 2 Kalifornia Blacktail bucks@57/102yds, 2 wild boar hogs under 30yds, head shots, 1 Montana White tail buck, hit twice1@7yds broadside thru. the lungs/ribs turned 90 degrees and ran straight away from me at full speed then stopped and started to waver 2nd shot@204yds raking forward thru. severing ribs on his right side then out the front of the shoulder(lost some meat), dropped like a stone, 1 Wyoming Pronghorn buck 324yds, touched the bottom of the spine thru. the lungs dropped dead, none of the above bullets were recovered all passed thru. After opening up, destroyed lungs, and chest cavities filled with blood.
I have shot both the gmx and barnes 150's, they shoot flatter but not nearly as accurate, In my .270win it loves both 130gr gmx's and Barnes130gr ttsx, fast. These are the only 2 calibers of monoliths I've tried so far, have a handful more waiting for their opportunity.

Last edited:
As others have previously noted, 180gr monolithic's are too long and heavy(slow) for the .308win, follow the Barnes guide where you drop your bullet weight class 1 or 2 times your typical choice for class of game, they have no problem staying together and penetrating like crazy(make sure there's no other game behind it) monolithic's need velocity to perform on game , and they prefer alot of bullet jump (and need a longer running start) to prevent steep pressure spikes , it's all in Barne's reloading manuals, My factory Ruger'merican 22" barrel likes handloads with the older Hornady Gmx, 165 grain and 2000-MR powder, this combination has taken 2 Kalifornia Blacktail bucks@57/102yds, 2 wild boar hogs under 30yds, head shots, 1 Montana White tail buck, hit twice1@7yds broadside thru. the lungs/ribs turned 90 degrees and ran straight away from me at full speed then stopped and started to waver 2nd shot@204yds raking forward thru. severing ribs on his right side then out the front of the shoulder(lost some meat), dropped like a stone, 1 Wyoming Pronghorn buck 324yds, touched the bottom of the spine thru. the lungs dropped dead, none of the above bullets were recovered all passed thru. After opening up, destroyed lungs, and chest cavities filled with blood.
I have shot both the gmx and barnes 150's, they shoot flatter but not nearly as accurate, In my .270win it loves both 130gr gmx's and Barnes130gr ttsx, fast. These are the only 2 calibers of monoliths I've tried so far, have a handful more waiting for their opportunity.
Wholeheartedly agree!
I used to use 30-06 so used same 180 gr bullets in 308 and not necessary as a 130 gr Barnes killed so many deer and so well I started using them on wild pigs.The only reason I went to 165 gr Partition and then to Accubond was due to the Mule deer being so much bigger than the white tail deer from the south.Well put sir!

Hmm well I ran the numbers on Berger's barrel twist calculator and the Barnes looks like needs a 1-9.75" twist at sea level. With a 1-11" it's marginally stable. I ran the numbers on a 30-180 Partition @ sea level going 2600 fps and it was fully stable with a 1-11" twist. You could confirm it by plugging in the numbers yourself. https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Load data at Nosler's site. https://www.nosler.com/load-data/caliber-and-cartridge-data.html
I love the nosler bullets the 150are tack drivers in the T3 but when I went to the heavier Barnes 180 I had to do 16 clicks up to get it into the bullseye area. But the shots so far are at least a three inch group.

The only negative with TAC is temperature sensitivity. Be careful with max loads worked up in winter using in hot weather. For this reason the target guys dont like to use it.

Recent Posts