Ramshot Tac powder ?

gj

Any one here use it or have experience with it ? I have an opportunity to buy it for 16.99 a lb and am wondering if its a great or just mediocre performer.

I used it in my .223 Service Rifle for a few years and still do for practice ammo.
it meters very well from a number of different powder measurers and gives good velocity and is pretty accurate with most bullets I tried. the only reason I quit using it for my match ammo is I found a H4895 works better for the 75 Berger I shoot at 600 and I like to keep one type of powder for all yard lines.

one other thing is it's somewhat dirty. I found that a decent crimp on my mag length bullets helped combat this but doesn't work for all applications.

I never tried it with any other cartridge

It's a great powder for either .223/5.56 or .308's, and a host of other cartridges. Burns clean, meters great, and is extremely accurate in the loads I've loaded it with. One of my favorite varmint powders for sure!

Thanks Guys,,, I just ordered 16 lbs of it to try out. I haven't heard that its dirty per say, but one guy did get teased about having a black powder AR do to all the smoke it emitted.

Being a progressive press and a ball powder fan, I used a lot of WW-748 in the past but years ago when Data 2200 was $64..00 an 8 lb keg i discovered it almost always edged out the 748 by a tiny bit for itty bitty groups.

Now days since running out of the Data 2200 powder and having to buy AA 2200 @ $160 per 8 keg, i have been looking for better priced powders, which are hard to come by!

My only complaint with AA 2200 has been it is dirty, in fact one time during a carbine match i actually had a firing pin gum up so Bad it stopped detonating primers that was after about 2-300 rounds through the rifle with out cleaning it . I eventually stopped lubing the firing pin and its pathways completely . Also i polished the firing pin to a mirror finish and these combined have solved the problem with AA 2200 . Its a ball powder that is hard to beat for accuracy.

At this point i have hopes this Ramshot Tac will perform equal or better !

Last edited:
Ive heard guys say TAC is dirty but I have no idea what they are talking about. I run it in 223 and 308 with great results and it burns clean

How well does it shoot in a 223 with 75 - 80 grain bullets and 7 twist?
Depends on what you mean by how well ?
Velocity ? group size ? cleanliness ? etc.

I can give you book specs for velocity .

.223 24" barrel
All max loads
75 gr - 2820 fps
80 gr 2749 fps

5.56 X 45MM NATO 24" Barrel
All max loads
75 gr 2994 fps
80 2903 fps

75 gr 20" barrel 2800fps

Last edited:
shoots pretty well with the heavies in a 7 twist.

from a 20 inch service rifle barrel I was getting 2750 with the 77's and roughly 2725 with the 80's.

the load was 24 grains for both the 80's and the 77's, CCI 450 primers and L.C. brass. Wylde chamber.

won few local matches and a state championship with that load

TAC is really hard to beat, like most of Ramshot powders. Metering is SO nice. Velocity always seems to beat the competition. I have not found it to be dirty, perhaps it is & perhaps it is not in your situation.

t