308 or 7mm-08 for mule deer?

I am looking to buy either a 308 or 7mm-08 as a mule deer hunting rifle. The typical hunting ranges i encounter out west here are between 200-600 yards. Ive got a 300wm I use for elk and other large game and an old 270, but I am wanting something new dedicated for mule deer. My main concerns are ammo price and availability and I am also looking mainly at Bergara, Weatherby and Browning.
300 wm is a great mule deer gun too 🤷🏻‍♂️
but if your just wanting another gun I get it 😜

the 284W seams to be making a comeback on It's own not just it's wildcats. I am guessing more and more ammo makers will be making good loaded ammo for it in the future.
Does anyone know of a currently mass-produced factory firearm in the caliber?

They are selling the 150 eldx bullet as a component now.
I have used this bullet recently, in factory-loaded 280 ammo. Shot a couple of nice bucks with it, @ 300 & 450 yards. I found both expanded bullets in the animals, and they looked just like the pictures in the magazine. Don't know what they would do if I had happened to shoot the deer at very close range, but at those distances they worked great.

I used the .308 in a Older Winchester push feed feather weight for years and had no problem killing Antelope ,Mule deer and Elk with it.I doubt that I shot any animal more then 400 yards away with it.I used Hornady 150 grain cup&core flat based bullets in it.I also like the 7MM08 and think it to be as capable as the .308 Win.Now I use Bergers in my hunting rifles.I doubt they kill any better than cup and core at moderate ranges,but sure do make tiny groups.I am sure either would do fine out to 600 yards with any good boat tail bullet available.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.