308 or 7mm-08 for mule deer?

My vote would be for the 308 win I've hunted with one for going on 8 years now and before that I hunted with a 270 win for many years and I would have to say I really like the 308 better.but if you do want to reload for what caliber you pick the 7mm-08 can be pushed pretty good with 139 and 140 grain bullets.but 308 is same way.but like others have said if you want to only use factory ammo the 308 has better options just my two cent

I shoot a lightweight 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel and love it. It's my go-to hunting rifle. But as others have said, the 308 will be very similar at the ranges you describe. 6.5 Creedmoor would also do the job well and has highly available ammo. Just pick the one you prefer, as the mule deer won't be able to tell the difference.

7mm-08, similar to the 308 out to 400, then beats the 308 hands down past that.
I had three 308's. Now only have one.
I use a 20" Ruger Hawkeye all-weather, 7.5# with glass. Load development with 129gr monos had me shooting in the 2's. Haven't been able to get out since.

Ballistically, the 6.5 CM and 7-08 are about a push. This season, even with all the ammo shortages, you could find 6.5CM on the shelves here. 7-08 is typically scarce, and expensive, even in the best of times.
I strongly dislike koolaid marketing, so you won't see a man-bun rifle in my locker.

I've debated on going the 6.5cm route for so long now, but I've been watching the shelves around here and they never have it in stock. The 308 and 7-08 are usually in stock. I just don't know if I should get the cm or not yet....

It sounds like you dont reload but if you do a 308 with some 175 grain pills are really great at longer ranges. On the 308 get a 1/10 twist. The tiki won't have a 1/10. Not sure about others. On the 708 I'm not sure but on both rifles I would get as long as barrel as I could find. I had a 308 that hand a 1/10 with a 26 inch barrel. It was a marlin. It shot the 168 Amax at 2800 FPS. This was a good consistent load for it. I never had an issue running the 168's and 175's out to 1000 yards. The 175's ran about 2780. Not allot of difference. I traded it off for a 6.5 creed and wish I didn't. The creed is just not giving me the velocity I thought it could produce unless you use RL 26 with 140s. I may try to get me a 260 or another 308 later on myself.

It sounds like you dont reload but if you do a 308 with some 175 grain pills are really great at longer ranges. On the 308 get a 1/10 twist. The tiki won't have a 1/10. Not sure about others. On the 708 I'm not sure but on both rifles I would get as long as barrel as I could find. I had a 308 that hand a 1/10 with a 26 inch barrel. It was a marlin. It shot the 168 Amax at 2800 FPS. This was a good consistent load for it. I never had an issue running the 168's and 175's out to 1000 yards. The 175's ran about 2780. Not allot of difference. I traded it off for a 6.5 creed and wish I didn't. The creed is just not giving me the velocity I thought it could produce unless you use RL 26 with 140s. I may try to get me a 260 or another 308 later on myself.
I've debated on going the 6.5cm route for so long now, but I've been watching the shelves around here and they never have it in stock. The 308 and 7-08 are usually in stock. I just don't know if I should get the cm or not yet....
I'm not in the same league as some but I don't put the creedmore in the hunting league either.
Against the 7-08 or .308, I think it's a different thing.
Split the difference take the 7-08 because .284 is actually 7.2mm and a great cartridge, but.308 Will be easier to source the world over I bet.

"If" you can overcome the unwarranted negative perceptions from the haters, synthesize the information being presented to you to make your own sound decision, as @Kimber7man noted, it is exactly what you need. The off the shelves inventory of ammo where you are at is what counts, not anyone else's. I am a latecomer in owning a 6.5 CM because I already have a 6.5x55 Swede. I have yet to handload for it because the factory ammo I am currently using ($20 a box Winchester deer season XP 125g) is registering 3-shot groups at 200Y off my TCA Compass with a 24" barrel ...

6.5 CM deer season XP 3-shot at 200 yards.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:
I just purchased a 7mm-08. It's a new caliber to me. The ballistics say it'll go further faster and that's what I'm looking for. I had a 308 and sold it. It's your gun, what will you feel more confident shooting. That's what you need to decide. Good luck in your search.

I became a fan of the 7/08 after observing the performance of the cartridge in my son's R-700 7/08. I am willing to admit the admiration of the cartridge is the result of the superior marksmanship skills of the operator.

The rogue's gallery of animals run from WT, Pronghorn, & a cow elk (2020). Longest shot (IIRC) was 380 yards (Pronghorn)

Even in the best of times 7/08 ammo isn't as available as some others, but could be fashioned from the parent case, and others, if needed.

Hunt with 308 - 7mm-08 - 260 at this point so pretty much have it covered :) That said when I go to get a gun for the day the 7mm-08 is always the hunting rifle of choice. Stands to reason that its shot more deer and been taken for a lot more long walks in the fall. Fun Chosen' :)

I am looking to buy either a 308 or 7mm-08 as a mule deer hunting rifle. The typical hunting ranges i encounter out west here are between 200-600 yards. Ive got a 300wm I use for elk and other large game and an old 270, but I am wanting something new dedicated for mule deer. My main concerns are ammo price and availability and I am also looking mainly at Bergara, Weatherby and Browning.
308 begara

They're both excellent cartridges. I think the 7mm-08 loaded with 162-168gr bullets would be my choice over a .308 with the same weight class of bullets. The 7mm will buck the wind better and have better ballistics. The .308 would need a 200+ grain bullet to match the wind drift and ballistics of the 7mm with the 168 class of bullets.
I just listed a 7-08 in the Wby badlands camo pattern on gun broker good cartridge I shot a 145 LRX and 150 Barnes tsx. it also shoots 139 SST's exceptionally

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.