308 or 6.5CM

You'll be happy with either one and they both accomplish the same thing out to 300yds. When shoot bullets of similar design you'd be hard pressed to see a difference in results. The CM will have a little less felt recoil because its usually a lighter bullet but thats about it.

One thing I feel compelled to bring up/ask. For those that have actually killed an animal with the 6.5 in the ranges mentioned by the Op, what was the result? Of the two deer killed by my 20" barreled 6.5, both dropped literally were they stood, of the three deer I've killed with my single shot 308 with a 26" barrel, one dropped and two ran about 40-50 yards. All animals recovered without issue so job well done. I don't want to derail the thread or start a 6.5 vs 308 battle but at the ranges mentioned both are very effective. Obviously the 20" barrel is loosing a bit of performance and the 26" barrel is maximizing it but the results are basically the same. Recovered animals without issues. My dad killed piles of deer with a 250-3000 Savage and that rifle has never failed to kill and once again, most dropped right away. The 250 is a completely underperforming cartridge by today's standards, yet it kills quickly and effectively. There are more factors than ballistics and math at play IMHO when talking about killing. Sorry if I got a little off topic but there many thing at play when talking about this stuff. Shot placement, bullet choice, etc. I also think the idea of finding 308 right now on the shelf is a bit of a stretch. At least in my area, you will find much more 6.5C on the shelf than 308. My last two trips to the local box store showed me the 308 ammo is being bought up way more rapidly than hunting 6.5 ammo.

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

many and all input welcomed.

QUOTE:
"In October 2017, U.S. Special Operations Command tested the performance of the 7.62x51 NATO, .260 Remington, and 6.5 CM cartridges out of SR25, M110A1, and Mk20 sniper rifles. SOCOM determined that the 6.5CM performed the best, doubling hit probability at 1,000 meters (italics mine) increasing effective range by nearly half, reducing wind drift by a third and having less recoil than the 7.62 NATO rounds…"

But ya, 300-yards or nearer: a .308 Winchester is probably better. :D
And I'd have it in a laminated stock. BOYDs Forest Camo. (Bolt-action)

Last edited:
I was planning a short barreled 308 build at 16.5" but my smith mentioned a 6.5 prc at the same length and said they run about what a 24" creedmoor would. Might consider that route. The 6.5s will generally shoot a much better ballistic bullet but at that range i don't know it matters much

AR-10 SEMI-AUTO
UPPERS 6.5 CREEDMOOR
USES 308 MAGAZINES 5-RD.,10-RD., 20-RD.

I have a .308 AR-10, so I later found a SS 24-inch 6.5CM at a low price (no longer available), but here are some for example.

My vote is the 308 Win, just a great cartridge and if you know how to load it, it is nearly as effective as the 30-06. if you want a small light, hiking rifle then the small cased 308 is great. you can use a 16" to 18" barrel for thick woods and tight up close brush shooting and it can stretch out to 300 yards easily. I would use a #4 or #5 taper with spiral fluted spiraling opposite to the rifling to dampen harmonics. I built a friend this kind of rifle for his ranch down in Texas. He loves it.

I am a fan of both, but let's face it, a 30 creates a biggerhole and probably causes the same secondary cavitation as the 6.5. I always wanted a 308 BAR for hunting pigs, but when I came across a super deal on a custom BAR in 270 I was concerned that it wasn't as fat as the 308 of my youth. LoL, a 270 drills pigs DRT at the OP's specified ranges with Barnes so my initial concerns were nullified.

I know a hunting guide who, when the Rem 260 was first being seen on hunts, told me his experiences were that they didn't have the same stopping power on wild pigs as the 270, 308, 06, etc. Maybe that changed over time, haven't spoken to him in some years. Just passing on what he said, not agreeing or disagreeing. He shoots a 270 exclusively.

I just went through this myself, what rifle to get for medium game around 300 yards. After considering several calibers I settled on a .308 and glad I did. Here's why. Versatility. Just about any load and bullet you will need is available in .308. I reload for .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, so keeping the choice in the family saves me a few bucks on dies. Both the .308 and 6.5 I have are around 12 pounds each and are used for long range plinking. I would not want to carry either around all day in the woods. The rifle I chose? I purchased the Savage .308 Axis, it is camouflaged, inexpensive, rugged. lightweight, and deadly accurate. Perfect for a day in the woods. The salesman told me it was a great beginners rifle even though I have been buying guns and shooting for over 40 years. It might be a great beginner's gun but personally I think it is perfect for dropping out of tree stands, getting rained on and nailing medium size game no matter how long you've been hunting. I zeroed at 200 yards today and was rocking steel at 500 yards, at will. The accompanying scope has a lot to be desired but adequate for game at 300 yards. Building guns is great fun but if you want a reliable hunting buddy, consider the .308 Savage Axis.

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

many and all input welcomed.
I would get a 6.5/284, but certainly could live with a .306!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.