Youth 6.5CM

cohunt

so I'm looking for a rifle for my young daughter--I'm liking the 6.5CM for the lower recoil and have found a few options

Winchester XPR compact
X-bolt compact
Weatherby vanguard compact
Ruger American compact
Mossberg patriot super bantam

The mossberg and weatherby have stock LOP spacers for when she gets bigger if needed
There are a few other offering but they don't come in 6.5CM --yet

She would love the muddy girl serenity camo pattern but none are offered in 6.5CM, so I'm thinking a synthetic stock would be best so I can just add a "wrap" and then when she gets tired of the color we can just pull it off later

What are you thoughts on the offerings above?

Last edited:
I just picked up a T3X compact for my nephew, accurate lil gun. Has a bit of recoil but 147gr bullets in a 6# package will do that. He killed a muley @ 365y with it. It only has a 3rd mag, but i believe you can get 5rd for them.

I have a Tikka CTR nice set up for the kids, The Weatherby is a nice rifle as well. I haven't worked up an affection for the Ruger American, but we do like the compact Hawkeye a lot. Depending on how it's used, the lighter Hawkeye is popular for walking, even adults look at it favorably. If from stands etc. the T3CTR is my choice.

We put my grandson in the browning micro with wood stock in 6.5 Creed last year at age 8 He took a nice 8 point last year and a fat doe yesterday. He is shooting one inch groups with nosler 120 BT. He is a small kid but handles the recoil well. I think it is great fit for him. His came with a deal to trade up to a larger stock when he grows.

I hate to say in but the cheap ruger American rifles in 6.5 and 6 creedmore are hard to beat for the price. There are a couple guys shooting them in our local light gun match and they surprised the hell outa me. And I don't care for creedmores.

I know this isn't one of the rifles you were asking about, but it may be worth knowing for more options. My 12 year old daughter killed her first buck at 640 yards this year with a standard length Seekins Havak 6.5 CM. She has never had a problem with the 13.5" LOP even if it is a touch long for her.

20181011_162902.jpg

Another option which may be of interest is the Sauer 100. They are available in 6.5CM with several different models.

I had a similar issue with my 10 year old daughter hunting for the first time this season. She is a skinny little thing and worried that the wind will blow her away, much less recoil... Thought about using a 223, but totally against my better judgement for caliber choice. Then thought about 25-06 in Sendero. I think she could handle the recoil, but it is a bit sharp.

Decided on a Rem PCR in 6.5CM, heavy gun but we are in a blind and really not much heavier than the Sendero. Extremely mild recoil and the best out of the box shooting rifle I've seen. First and worst group after zero with factory Nosler BT 140s was .720", best was .275". and that was my fouler group! For the record, I've never shot a group under .3" in my life... What's also nice about it is that the stock is so adjustable to the shooter, really helps with the little ones. She has no issue shooting this rifle and thinks it's cool looking especially when her brothers are drooling over it...

Excited to shoot it now that I have my dies and components in house.

I got the vanguard Camilla for my son 2 years ago. It is an accurate little rifle but the recoil is still more than he would like. I had to load some little 100g ballistic tips for him just to get his confidence up. Im not going to lie, I dont even like shooting it with the 140s. I would advise getting one with a brake on it or a heavier gun. I think the Browning micro has a brake on it. Hope this helps.

Of those I think the Browning, Tikka, or the Ruger for out of the box performance.

You can always get the stock dipped for not a ton of money...or buy a Boyd's in laminate colors that she likes. I have a 9 yr old and I got a custom 6.5cm in a short McMillan stock. I'll use it when i want a SA, light recoiling gun, but he likes to think of it as his gun. I think anything to get them interested and feeling some ownership - whether it is stock colors, etc, raises their fun factor and emotional involvement.

I have 2 Tikkas for my kids, one .243 and one .308 compact. They are great options. I think a 6.5 compact would be goldilocks in a bolt gun for a kid. That said, I built an AR with my oldest for his perpetual use and it is a light weight with adjustable length of pull. I have lowers for my other 2 sons waiting on something similar for them. Last year I added a lightweight 300 blackout upper that they can use for deer. It worked very well and was easily managed by one of my then 8 year old son.

A shot on game will be little felt, but practicing with a .223 let them learn trigger control, and a lightweight quality AR always has a place in the safe regardless of age. I hope he looks back on it when he is old and remembers us building it.

So I seem to narrowed it down a bit--maybe
W vanguard compact- 12.5-13.625" LOP, 6.5lb-$475
B X-bolt compact synthetic- 13"LOP, 6.5lb, radial brake-$730
W XPR compact- 13"lop- 6.75lb- $445
Howa 1500 youth- 12.62" lop- 7 pound- $517
Mossy SB patriot- 12-13"LOP- 6.5lb- $290
R American compact- 12.5" LOP- 6 lb- $380

missing any?

I see and the Tikka tac is 7.5lbs
read that the WV Camilla is best suited to women, not kids
Can't find a compact/youth in 6.5cm for the savage, or rem 700, or T3X

she has a shotgun with a 13" LOP and it is still just a bit on the long side--doable but it seems she has to stretch a little and I wonder if this would be bad trying to get proper eye relief on a scoped rifle

the mossy super bantam patriot is cheep-- is it a cheep gun? should I steer clear?--I'm kinda leaning towards the weatherby, mossy, or howa but still undecided

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.