308 or 6.5CM

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

many and all input welcomed.
i personally prefer the 6.5 less recoil and because of that easier on second shot especially wiith pigs.. but is my opinion only..

Hogs?
In order:
6.5 Grendel in an AR-15
Tikka T3x Superlite in 308 Win
Steyr Scout in 308 Win
P7M13
Hogs?
In order:
10mm Springfield Armory 1911 long slide 6-inch barrel 200gr. Hornady XTP bullets.
460 Smith & Wesson Factory standard 8 &1/2 inch Barrel 535gr. hard cast gas checked lead flat-nosed bullets.
Nothin' personal, but I like huntin' hogs with pistols. My place is a pine tree farm and I don't get many over 100-yard shots these days.

P7M13
Hogs?
In order:
10mm Springfield Armory 1911 long slide 6-inch barrel 200gr. Hornady XTP bullets.
460 Smith & Wesson Factory standard 8 &1/2 inch Barrel 535gr. hard cast gas checked lead flat-nosed bullets.
Nothin' personal, but I like huntin' hogs with pistols. My place is a pine tree farm and I don't get many over 100-yard shots these days.

In Hawaii I guess guns are real hard to come by....

Hawaiian hunting old school

Maol: Pig sticking is fine for those of us that do not love the smell of gunpowder at the scene of the kill.

Lol pretty sure 'Pig Sticking' is younger man's sport. Younger than me anyways.

I was just poking fun at Hawaii's stupid gun laws. They hunt them in TX that way too. Just not for me, my knees won't take all that running. I could see giving pistols a try, might be a real possibly for me cause I do love that adrenaline still!

Moal: Yep, went to a pig "Spearing'" down in South Texas. Sure, you get rid of some unwanted pigs, but I seem to have evolved to the state of enjoying pig "Shooting." One of my sons is a bowhunter when he isn't hunting with a rifle or one of his pistols. I still like knocking the snot out of 'em with bullets. I like having them on my tree farm because we hunt them anytime we need the meat and sometimes just for fun. (we always eat whatever we kill, so slaughtering bunches of them at a time is pretty well too much work for us)

Moal: One more thing--about those knees of yours. I am so fat and ugly that if I take off all of my clothes and get down on all fours, I make a dang good pig decoy. But it hurts my knees so I don't do things like that. Yep, I am old and fat and ugly and I don't walk as much as I should because of both of my knees being bad. But I can still shoot 'em as far away as I can see 'em.

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

many and all input welcomed.

we all quote and often fixate on foot-lbs. Having killed a few animals in my time with everything from a 22 to a .470nitro, I know for a certainty not all foot-lbs are created equal. There are simply to many variables in bullet speed, diameter, construction and shape to simply say 1800 foot pounds of energy from a .264 at X yards will produce the same result as the same energy behind a 308 at the same yardage. Moreover, experience has shown me many times that less energy from a bigger bullet often kills dramatically better than smaller faster bullet that theoretically carry the same energy.

Read the attached article. It is not comprehensive by any means; nonetheless it offers a logical perspective on the simple knock out value of SIZE and why foot-pounds is so misleading.

I have shot both. The 6.5 is faster, better BC, and recoil is lighter. But- it is also one of the current golden calibers in popularity. I tend to shy away from those things myself. Ammo is also expensive. Personally, I am biased towards the 308, a great all-rounder, will drop most NA animals, recoil is very manageable, and ammo is more readily available.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.