308 or 6.5CM

I have shot both. The 6.5 is faster, better BC, and recoil is lighter. But- it is also one of the current golden calibers in popularity. I tend to shy away from those things myself. Ammo is also expensive. Personally, I am biased towards the 308, a great all-rounder, will drop most NA animals, recoil is very manageable, and ammo is more readily available.

6.5 cm is not faster, with like sized bullets. The biggest problem with the needmore is lack of speed.

CM is faster when using weights between the 2 that have the same BC and heavy for caliber.
With comparable designed bullets (in general terms) a 140 6.5 will equal about 190 gr. in a 308 in BC, you can push a 140 to about 2800 fps, you can't push a 190 in a 308 that fast in say a 24" tube.
I shoot both & I like both and have no emotional attachment here.

Point made. Was making more of a general statement. 6.5 is intended to be a faster shot, no?

More Flatter rather than Faster. Better BC for equal weight so it bucks wind better. Besides BC, it's weight range selection is ranging from around 70-156gr in factory. 308 is around 100-190gr, (loaded cycling subs can be had up to 260gr)

Last edited:
CM is faster when using weights between the 2 that have the same BC and heavy for caliber.
With comparable designed bullets (in general terms) a 140 6.5 will equal about 190 gr. in a 308 in BC, you can push a 140 to about 2800 fps, you can't push a 190 in a 308 that fast in say a 24" tube.
I shoot both & I like both and have no emotional attachment here.

If you load a 130 grain bullet in both the 308 will be faster and consequently more energy. Yes the 6.5cm has a better BC but that just means it lobs bullets better. This is about inside 300 yards so BC isn't really involved.

we all quote and often fixate on foot-lbs. Having killed a few animals in my time with everything from a 22 to a .470nitro, I know for a certainty not all foot-lbs are created equal. There are simply to many variables in bullet speed, diameter, construction and shape to simply say 1800 foot pounds of energy from a .264 at X yards will produce the same result as the same energy behind a 308 at the same yardage. Moreover, experience has shown me many times that less energy from a bigger bullet often kills dramatically better than smaller faster bullet that theoretically carry the same energy.

Read the attached article. It is not comprehensive by any means; nonetheless it offers a logical perspective on the simple knock out value of SIZE and why foot-pounds is so misleading.

Very well said and great article. One of the reasons any 6.5 punches above its weight is high Sectional Density IMHO. That is a whole different rabbit hole but certainly plays into the effectiveness of any caliber. I am in the "Give me an exit hole" camp. I'm sure that's from my bow hunting background but I want a blood trail "just in case". The ideal performance for any hunting bullet for me is expansion in the vitals and an exit hole. I don't want it to blow up on bone or dump all of its energy "in the vitals" and give no exit. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket basically. Speaking of bow hunting, by the numbers an arrow shouldn't kill either...😃

I personally have never shot a pig, are they tougher than an elk? Seems like either of the mentioned cartridges would be suitable and readily available.
I shot a meat sow, maybe 125 lbs on the hoof, at the Tejon Ranch before the lead free ban. Used a 30-06 with 180 gr Speer Mag Tips at 50 yards. Perfect broadside heart lung shot and the sow lead the herd uphill for over 100 yards. I didn't see the hit so I racked in another round but the guide stopped me from shooting, he said the cloud of blood was huge and a perfect hit. The thing was dead at the shot but took off like it had no problems. They can be tough but people hunt them with 223/ 5.56 all the time too. I'm sure either the 6.5 CM or the 308 Win will work fine. If it were me I'd get a lightweight 308 Win since I have a PSS in 308 Win.

Correct, along that subject BC doesn't matter but actually inside 300 yds. it doesn't matter which round you use either unless you are recoil sensitive then 6.5. For 130's with a 308, to each his own. I would not use them period, too light for caliber does not exite me, been there dried that, including monos.

I ran into a retired soldier turned contractor and then retired completely at the range. He had all kinds of RAZU stuff going on: electronic target he set at 50 yards that fed data to his mobile device, very distinctive rifle, shooting mat, spotting scope, etc. I had to strike up a conversation. He was tuning his "back up rifle" that he uses for 1000 yard "F Class" competition. It was a 308. I asked him why 308, what about the 6.5 hype? He noted: 1) the 308 wins more matches. The 30 caliber bullet is less susceptible to wind shift, noting a wind gust can mean the difference between a 9 and a 10 on the 1000 yard target. The 30 caliber bullet doesn't move as much. 2) shooting a 100 rounds in competition results in fatigue. His competition loads run at about 2500 fps, and produce less recoil and less noise. This fellow struck me as having insight leaving me realize just how much of an amateur that I really am. Sometimes the retail promotions and paid for evaluations on YouTube masquerade as "science". Seems to be a lot of that going around. Look at politics, global warming, yada, yada, yada.... My short meeting with this impressive gentlemen opened my eyes to as Paul Harvey used to close with, "and that is the rest of the story". Don't sell the 308 short.

I ran into a retired soldier turned contractor and then retired completely at the range. He had all kinds of RAZU stuff going on: electronic target he set at 50 yards that fed data to his mobile device, very distinctive rifle, shooting mat, spotting scope, etc. I had to strike up a conversation. He was tuning his "back up rifle" that he uses for 1000 yard "F Class" competition. It was a 308. I asked him why 308, what about the 6.5 hype? He noted: 1) the 308 wins more matches. The 30 caliber bullet is less susceptible to wind shift, noting a wind gust can mean the difference between a 9 and a 10 on the 1000 yard target. The 30 caliber bullet doesn't move as much. 2) shooting a 100 rounds in competition results in fatigue. His competition loads run at about 2500 fps, and produce less recoil and less noise. This fellow struck me as having insight leaving me realize just how much of an amateur that I really am. Sometimes the retail promotions and paid for evaluations on YouTube masquerade as "science". Seems to be a lot of that going around. Look at politics, global warming, yada, yada, yada.... My short meeting with this impressive gentlemen opened my eyes to as Paul Harvey used to close with, "and that is the rest of the story". Don't sell the 308 short.
Amen

Perfect insight.

The 308 Win is my second most favorite round next to the 270 Win. I own several rifles chambered in those two cartridges and not a single one chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The way I see it the 270 Win, 308 Win, 300 Win Mag and 7 mm Rem Mag have stood the test of time for a reason. When the 6.5 Creedmoor gets to be as seasoned as any of those cartridges then maybe I will give it a try.

6.5 Creedmor will hunt just fine. It's a 6.5mm bullet flying pretty flipping fast. Use the proper bullet for the animal you intend to target. A whitetail will go down with a regular cheapo softpoint. Bigger animals may need one of them ballistic tipped or copper bullets that don't hit a brick wall if they hit thick hide or bone at 200+ yards.

Heck, even a 243 will kill a deer. That's a 6mm bullet. Thus, a 6mm Creedmor will kill a deer (with a hunting bullet).

If you want something that does it all and you can actually find the ammo, get a 270. Specifically a Tikka Lite or Ultralite. You will never need another rifle unless you're hunting the big'uns or dangerous game.

Worry about getting yourself to a 1000 yard range on a day that reflects the weather/temps you normally hunt in (ideally on a day with some 5-10 mph wind), then get your data on your rifle out to 1000 yards. Knowing you can ping steel at 1000 yards reliably with the exact ammo you intend to use while hunting gives you confidence you'll make ethical kills in the effective range of your round (which, unless it's a magnum, is likely 600 or less).

Obviously if you never intend to hunt past 200 yards then don't go driving hours to find a 1,000 yard range. You get the point, though. Find the data on the rifle with that round. Don't just screw around at your local 100 yard range only if you intend on hunting out to 500 yards. Those phone apps don't always give you the right information.

Last edited:
I don't know. Dinging metal at a thousand yards seems like it would be enjoyable. I would buy a rifle just to be able to do something like that. I would never attempt to shoot any animal past 400 yds though. That is my personal limit by choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.