Youth 6.5CM

Euro optic has the T3x lite compact (20 in barrel) in 6.5 creedmoor among other calibers.
OK-- so Tikka t3X comapact has a 12.5-13.7 LOP, 5.9 pounds (?)- and about $600

I wonder why it's not listed on the Tikka website

I had her hold my rem 700 mountain rifle, and also my rem 700 adl--- the LOP was fine, I measured them at 13" but website for Rem 700 says 13 3/8" so maybe a std LOP will work for her--- an 8 pound scoped rifle is too much for her to off hand shoot so bags and shooting sticks are a must for now

Now I need to make sure I keep it lighter BUT keep the recoil down-- recoil is going to scare her away I know for sure as she always asks me " how much push does it have" before she shoots it

I was aiming at 6.5CM for reduced recoil BUT there is always the 243 or 7-08 also

6.5CM still seems to be best overall bullet weight for "everything" in a "reduced recoil" gun as the 243 weights are 58gr-100gr, 6.5CM is 95gr - 140gr, and 7-08 is 120-160-- here in CO we have the big game opportunity of Prong horn, mule deer, and elk -- sheep, mtn goat and moose take years to get tags for so not worried about those for now

I feel that the 243 reduces the capable range and animal size for "growing in to" -- the 7-08 I fear will scare her with recoil initially but has "upgrade" potential-- but the 6.5CM seems to be a nice balance between the tow for lower recoil to start with, and 140 gr "heavies" potential for growing in to

Am I thinking right? I want a decent accuracy rifle so the limit is her not the rifle, but I don't want to spend too much if she doesn't take to it, or decides to "upgrade" when she gets bigger-- by the way she has shot 22LR, 20 gauge youth semi auto light target loads , 22-250 "heavy" (12 lb) bench rifle on bags, and 223 16" AR bench on bags and none of the recoil scares her--- the look/size of the gun and noise scare her a bit but she says the rifle "push" isn't bad-- just haven't stepped up to "big game center-fire" calibers yet as I don't want to induce a recoil flinch

she is 11 and in CO can start big game hunting at 12-- but I can get a one year "by" if she stays under close supervision and distance to me -- she will be 12 by next year's season anyway

I want something she can shoot for a while so "growing in to" is paramount for now

does my thinking sound logical?

Big fan of the Browning micro.

But that Tikka compact above sounds like a great plan.

As an intermediary for my 5 & 7 y.o. kids I built an AR in 6.5G. Suppressed, they love it and it's enough for now until they grow into something else.

Big fan of the Browning micro.

But that Tikka compact above sounds like a great plan.

As an intermediary for my 5 & 7 y.o. kids I built an AR in 6.5G. Suppressed, they love it and it's enough for now until they grow into something else.
Thought of AR's also, already have a 16" and 20" in 6.8spc --- the 20" is TC but the 16" is threaded so I could screw on one of my cans

Tikka is weird-- the compact is a 20" bbl, the full size is a 24.3" bbl--- then al the left handed models are 22.4" bbls

do they make a full size right handed with the 22.4" barrel in 6.5CM?

I tend to view that AR as a temporizing measure until they declare themselves for their bolt or other action of choice, as they grow.

[My stance] Doesn't make logical sense to me... It's a dead-nuts accurate rifle, that's ergonomic, quick-handling and light in a caliber that is more than sufficient for their chosen targets.

I merely mention it to say that you're not alone and that I understand the desire to get them something else.

Last edited:
Euro Optic list the Tikka T3x Hunter in 6.5CM with a 22.4" barrel but that has a walnut stock. You may like to email the US importer and ask as the Tikka website doesn't seem to list the 6.5CM at all from what I could see.

My sons 7, I got him a ruger 6.5 grendel, cut the stock and put in jardn trigger. It shoot great, he shot just under 5 inch group at 500 the other day.
For the money I would got ruger.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.