16.5” 6.5cm

Dirt_Nap

Im wanting to build a 6.5cm shorty for deer hunting. From what I researched, it should pack 1000ft/lbs out to 600-700yds. I'm looking at a Manners stock but I'm torn on the barrel. Looking at a Proof cf barrel but also looking at a good old Bartlein. Since hunting is the main use, I want to keep the weight down but I've never liked the look of a pencil barrel. I love the look of fluting so I'm open to that. Any suggestions?

My calculations from an AR10 platform at 16.5" is your limit might be 600 yards at best but that's just playing with numbers. Your limit is what you can safely and humanely put down the prey.

Proof Research makes the Sendero profile 6.5mm barrels in 16.5" length, no others.

Bartlein makes a terrific #3 contour which can be fluted but the weight savings at 16.5" is probably only 4 ounces at best. I don't go any smaller on contours.

The answer is what you like aesthetically, what looks best to you and handles the way you are most comfortable.

Manners makes some excellent hunting style stocks and Tom has added a new cheek piece which weighs 1.8 ounces! Take a look at what is available right now and ask about the cheek piece.

Enjoy the process!

I'm in the same boat as you. With a recent suppressor purchase a 16.5" shorty is pretty much mandatory lol.

I ruled out a proof since I can only find it in a sendero contour and I don't think it will look right in a manners eh4. I'm torn between a 2b or a fluted #3.

Consider the Accubond LR since they advertise expansion down to 1300 FPS.

I also second Sable on the lightweight cheek piece from manners. I have it on my mcs-cs and it's pretty comfortable and user friendly.

29894.jpeg

How about this for a lightweight! This rifle was built by Axial Precision and weighs 6lbs 14 oz and has a "21" barrel folks"!

My calculations from an AR10 platform at 16.5" is your limit might be 600 yards at best but that's just playing with numbers. Your limit is what you can safely and humanely put down the prey.

Proof Research makes the Sendero profile 6.5mm barrels in 16.5" length, no others.

Bartlein makes a terrific #3 contour which can be fluted but the weight savings at 16.5" is probably only 4 ounces at best. I don't go any smaller on contours.

The answer is what you like aesthetically, what looks best to you and handles the way you are most comfortable.

Manners makes some excellent hunting style stocks and Tom has added a new cheek piece which weighs 1.8 ounces! Take a look at what is available right now and ask about the cheek piece.

Enjoy the process!

Thanks for the help! The Proof 16" shows a weight of 2lbs-8oz. What's roughly the weight of a 16" Bartlein #3?

From the Bartlein website:

3 Heavy Sporter 1.200 2.750 6.000 0.870 26″ 0.670 3.50#@ 26"

If you lop off 9.5" you might match the Proof but you will probably be heavier by a just a few ounces. Fluting that short length won't gain you much but it's something as long as you can justify the cost of the fluting vs the weight loss.

given what you posted, id get a proof barrel. i have one on my hunting 270 and really like it. that w/ a manners stock will be killer.

6.5PRC 20" Titanium Packlite Rellik
6pounds 4oz

1st 10 rounds factory Ammo... not much of a need to load!

Attachments

• 5E188739-730D-4AA4-B671-F6714EB12BC1.jpeg
    5E188739-730D-4AA4-B671-F6714EB12BC1.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 1745AD5A-7259-4EB5-BBB4-10BB07A8EE2D.jpeg
    1745AD5A-7259-4EB5-BBB4-10BB07A8EE2D.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 202
Thanks for the help! The Proof 16" shows a weight of 2lbs-8oz. What's roughly the weight of a 16" Bartlein #3?

You'll cut a few more ounces chambering and threading the barrel. My 24" sendero weighs 2 lb 14 ounces chambered

Just ordered the 16" Proof. Now it's on for an action and stock. Leaning towards the Manners eh1. Looking at just doing the bdl over the gen2 chassis. How much more weight is the chassis over the bdl and pillar bed?

Just ordered the 16" Proof. Now it's on for an action and stock. Leaning towards the Manners eh1. Looking at just doing the bdl over the gen2 chassis. How much more weight is the chassis over the bdl and pillar bed?
The mini will add a full pound. Bedding that's done correct will only add 1.5-2oz

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts