308 or 30-06 with heavy’s

My 308 18" bolt gun runs the 215's at 2460 fps. It's not the ultra flat long range hunting rifle most guys here are looking for but that's not what you said your after. The short barrel is super maneuverable in tight places, has a better balance and even with a can off hand shots on running game is very doable in the ranges your looking to use it. Throw a can on the end of one of my 26"-30" barrels and you can pretty much forget about it, but that's not what those rifles are for. You'll be getting similar impact velocity from the muzzle to 600 yards that a guy with a longer barreled Win Mag is getting from 400 to 1000 yards without worrying about the close range detonations. Only concern would be twist to ensure your stabilizing that bullet with the lower starting speed, mine is a 1:8" twist. Good luck and have fun!

For heavier bullets go with the 30-06.

I have a stainless shortened to 22" fluted barreled T/C Prohunter in 30-06 I have been loading 165gr Accubonds @ 2900fps with RL17 powder but recently tried 210gr Nosler Accubond Long Range in it.

A few years ago I purchased 2 boxes of 210gr Nosler Accubond Long Range to load for my 26" barreled 300RUM but never got around to loading them because my 200gr Accubond @ 3200fps where so accurate I just stayed with them.

A few months ago I decided to try the 210gr ALR's in my 30-06 56grs RL22 gives me 2500fps and consistently gives me 3/4" or less 3 shot 100 yard groups.

Data shows I can go 1gr more before I hit max I'm not showing pressure signs now so next time I load them I'll up it.

These loads are so consistent that I am thinking of switching to them over my 165gr loads.

I am a hunter before I am a target shooter this short combo with a VX3 2.5-8x36mm B&C reticle scope easily does 400 yards I'll eventually shoot further just haven't had the time to practice out further yet.

Last edited:
I only hunt with mine, no way would I go back to light bullets nor low BC bullets.
My slow load with a 215 does an amazing job on mule deer and elk out to the 800 yard range, my high node load which is pushing the 06 level has gone well beyond that. It has a rainbow trajectory but the wind drift is similar to a good 6.5, but you have to load the right bullets, going at 308 speeds it's all about the bullet!!!

That why I like the heavy's in my 06. It might not have the speed of a 300 win. But still with the 215 Hybrid its goes sub-sonic a little over 1600 yards. And is still a little over 1700 fps @ 1000 yards. Air temp of 30F and 2000 feet above sea level. 1100 yards puts it a hair above 1600fps.

I do think if the 200.20x expands like the 215 it would be a good option for the .308 win or 06. A good balance between speed and BC. depending on the speed and twist rate.

For the op and his 1:10 barrel and the slower speeds I would look harder @ the 200.20x.

I am a guest hunter in a trophy planned lease so I have to be sure that I do not shoot a button buck, mistaking it for a doe. I can shoot cull bucks (OLD 8-point, and OLD spikes). Those restrictions limit me to being sure before shooting. Since that is difficult to be sure of beyond 200yds I will lay my 338 EDGE aside this year and hunt with my 358 Winchester. It pushes a 200g Sierra RN to 2650fps. It is most desirable that the deer drops where hit because the brush /cactus makes it very difficult to follow a blood trail. I like the 308 and 30-06 families of cartridges as brass is plentiful and easy. Cartridges between the 35 Whelen/358Winchester and the 25-06 or 243 give lots of low cost options and great performance. I am an old guy who likes the old ones... Bigger is better. Beyond 300 yds? be a better hunter: get closer
I was not sure about this site, as "Long Range" Hunting, is not an F Class competition. So the ranges boasted were beyond ethical ranges, except for paper Elk. But this single post/response, made me join again. So has no one heard of Flatline Bullets, or Alco Bullets? Making the 30-06, a 2,000 Yard laser, but expensive. Why bother with a 308/7.62x51 in a Bolt Action Platform, over say the 260 Remington? Great Semi Auto cartridge, and intermediate Military round. And if you hunt, and cannot get within 200 yards(obviously not mountainous terrain we do not have here, in Florida/South Eastern United States), you need to hunt and stalk far more. Or hire a guide. The group size of a rifle, doesn't blow my skirt up, over hitting each distance, one shot, in the dead center. I shoot for "Cold Bore" point of impact, at every range I can practice. Instead of going too deep with load developing(which is what I would love to do more, if more time existed). But I was taught, to shoot one shot, and wait 45 minutes before the next. So few do this, but spend just a day with your rifle, like this, and you will know it more intimately. I am only 34, without the experience of 40 plus years, of hand loads and the high tech gear, now used. So since (The Man, Myth and Legend, {Billy Dixon mentionable of course}) Carlos Hathcock, used a 30-06 in combat, and to win the Wimbledon, 1,000 yard Service Rifle record, like anything else, it is the person behind the trigger. Most cannot shoot the capability of a quality Factor Rifle(yes even many PRS shooters), so I quit building custom firearms, for those outside the family. Thank you gentlemen for adding me to this Forum. I don't do paper punching like most here. If I cannot drop a deer at least, with a round, then I have no use for it, as a hunter. I can load 125gr to 220 grains, with the 06. So what could be more, "general purpose"in a long Action? And Mr. Will Grey, you mirror my Dad and I, in philosophy and real world application, as lifetime hunters (and we competition shot, every weekend we were not hunting. But only Sporting Clays, and Skeet, with Shotguns, not Rifles. Just to illustrate my background). And my lighter Rifle, is a 243 win. So the new options are interesting and outstanding, so far. But they just cannot touch the 30 caliber, bigger weight, not "Ballistic Tipped", 30-06 bullets(In my, and other shooters experience, here at Sea Level). Cordially and Sincerely, Tom-Florida

Last edited:
To stay on track: the OP has .308 and 30-06 barrels, so with no suggestions as to what other round he should use, lets look at this the other way.

He's going to shorten one. Which is better left at the longer length? '06, right?

I will hang up and listen to your answer.

To the OP I'd shorten the 308 and leave the -06 for a longer setup. It's good we all have differing opinions on what is long range and what is ethical as it's different for all of us. I grew up hunting the east coast and 300 yards was considered a long shot, the thing of legend, and did all my hunting with a 223. I moved out west and took my 223 the first year and was super limited because three hundred plus became the norm due to how open some of the areas are and the 223 wasn't the cartridge to be using. There are lots of areas I hunt that closing the distance to 500-600 takes skill, I've had big Muley's spot us and jump at 800+. Being prepared to hunt your area appropriately is what it's all about and if shooting beyond 300 isn't for you that's fine. Know your equipment and your capabilities and hunt within them.

I'm really thinking to go with the 30-06 barrel for my handy 20" barrel. I'm hunting with it not target shooting. The extra FPS will just convert to extra foot pounds energy on a big bull elk. I really appreciate all the feedback on this guy's.

Brian

Buster Hemlock hit the nail on the head.
We all have opinions on how far is ethical.My cousin was a sniper in the military and if he was relegated to 200-300 yards he would simply would not go hunting.
He was taught to shoot up to 1000 yards and did well.
Guess what rifle he did all that with?
308 but with a smaller bullet than the op wants to use.
I love both but at 400 yards I prefer my 30/06 with at least a 22 inch barrel.One of my 30/06's has a 26 inch barrel.
I have seen an 18 inch barreled 308 work wonders at 300 yards but could have worked wonders at longer distance so flip a coin.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

If your self imposed range limit is 400 yards, I'm sure either caliber will work well enough for your needs with proper bullet selection. My current hunting rifle is a 20 inch semi auto 308. I know you are asking about heavy for caliber bullets but my choice is the 150 grain SST for shots on deer at less than 400 yards with a 308.(I know nothing about elk as we don't have those here) I don't own a .30-06 so I have no opinion on bullet selection to offer other than if something works in a 308 it will probably work in a .30-06.

I don't have anything to offer but I love reading the replies They help me understand ballistics better and make better choices for hunting. I personally love my .30-06 and have killed lots of game with it including a crocodile. Hard to go wrong with it. Just remember that bullet placement trumps caliber every time.

30-06, 180 grain Partition - in the photo. It is heavy enough for anything in North America save for dangerous game. Velocity is about 200 f/s bellow an equivalent bullet in a 300 Win Mag. Lots of brass around and rifles too. The photo is a 1917 Eddystone Enfield. Crazy accurate for a 100 year old gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts