308 or 30-06 with heavy’s

If I pushed it with CFE223 or something even slower, I could probably hit within 100 FPS with a 215 in the .308 Win.

I was SHOCKED when I tried CFE 223 in my 20" 308 with a 168 gr Hornady BTHP. Thought it might be a fun "goofing off" cheap load. Hit 2900+ fps when I started getting primer swipe and sticky bolt lift.

Yeah, a lot of people still think of it as "grandpa's old deer rifle", and think that the .308 Win is a slow outdated. But with modern brass, bullets, powder, and barrels, the .308 Win is just as capable as any "modern" cartridge we have today.

Yes it is. In its class. All it needs is a sharper shoulder and it would be modern.

The 30-06 and .308 are my favorite old time .30 caliber rounds.

Been trying to convince my sister that if she wants a good dear gun with less kick and that would be good for elk go with a .308 win. Cant go wrong. And would be better then the you know what........ Cant say the name without destroying this thread more. ;)

Still barrel for barrel throat for throat bullet for bullet. My old 06 gets the job done and extends the range a little farther then the .308 win. Both are good. both had and have there place.

All the 30-06 offers over the 308 is a little more range, I see no point in more recoil and more powder when a person has a range limit WELL within the capability of the smaller round unless a guy just want the larger cartridge, this coming from a guy who will antelope hunt with a 338 RUM but still some years the 308 is just as sweet!

All the 30-06 offers over the 308 is a little more range, I see no point in more recoil and more powder when a person has a range limit WELL within the capability of the smaller round unless a guy just want the larger cartridge, this coming from a guy who will antelope hunt with a 338 RUM but still some years the 308 is just as sweet!

If I were to look at it that way I would agree. Chop the .308 barrel for the job he wants. and keep the 30-06 barrel long for longer range work.

Last edited:
All of us know that we can push the limits of ft-per seconds higher when reloading,,, this was my plan years ago,,, but slowly I switched back to medium / hot loads over all,,, more to do with accuracys and barrel life...

Hot flash kills barrels fast,,, of course I run 200 of them in the hunting season. Ha

90% of the rifle sees tame loads threw the plinking season,,, kinda like a win win,,, the brass lasts longer,,, 42 ish grains of powder for the 308,,, 53.5 for the Ought-6,,, my rifles like these tame loads,,, medium heavy contour rifles stay well planted through a shooting day of 80 to 200 rounds depending on the hours of sun light,,, we're just closing in on the 16 hour days pretty soon,,, Any-who,,, the critter still tumble when they get tagged by the tame loads,,, all good in my books since the old school tools have been cleaning house for years... At least in my world they have.

I am a guest hunter in a trophy planned lease so I have to be sure that I do not shoot a button buck, mistaking it for a doe. I can shoot cull bucks (OLD 8-point, and OLD spikes). Those restrictions limit me to being sure before shooting. Since that is difficult to be sure of beyond 200yds I will lay my 338 EDGE aside this year and hunt with my 358 Winchester. It pushes a 200g Sierra RN to 2650fps. It is most desirable that the deer drops where hit because the brush /cactus makes it very difficult to follow a blood trail. I like the 308 and 30-06 families of cartridges as brass is plentiful and easy. Cartridges between the 35 Whelen/358Winchester and the 25-06 or 243 give lots of low cost options and great performance. I am an old guy who likes the old ones... Bigger is better. Beyond 300 yds? be a better hunter: get closer
Enjoyed reading your post.Know your limits with what you have.I hunt where it is heavily wooded and to get a shot over 200 yrds.would be hard pressed .My 308 gets the job done .Getting closer is key.Happy hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts