300WM XBolt Stalker -- Max COAL: Do 215 Berger Hybrids Fit?

So, I understand the SAAMI COAL, however, if the throat allows, how do I determine the actual safe maximum COAL, so that the bullet is not seated to far out? If I can fit 3.595" cartridges in my mag and chamber the round, how do I determine starting charge grainage and make sure there is enough of the bearing surface being contacted by thr casing?

Slow down, you are jumping into this too fast. Learn the basics first. Do you have a reloading manual? If so, pick a bullet and start with what the manual recommends. Once you get enough experience then you can venture out and experiment with different powders bullets, primers, and seating depths. Like I said, enjoy the learning process.

Slow down, you are jumping into this too fast. Learn the basics first. Do you have a reloading manual? If so, pick a bullet and start with what the manual recommends. Once you get enough experience then you can venture out and experiment with different powders bullets, primers, and seating depths. Like I said, enjoy the learning process.

Yes, I have the Nosler manual. At this point, I'm giving a real hard consideration to the 200g Accubonds. I have read that folks have had decent luck with H1000, however Nosler doesn't list it, Hodgdon does. Am I able to start with Hodgdon's recommended min. charge of 72gr. and work up safely?

If so, I should seat the bullet so OACL is 3.340", which is the SAAMI standard, correct?

If all this is good, here is a rough plan.
- Fed 215 Primers
- 200gr. AB @ 3.340" OACL
- H1000

Does this all work, obviously following Hodgdon charge recommendations and being attentive for pressure signs?

If so, I should seat the bullet so OACL is 3.340", which is the SAAMI standard, correct?

If all this is good, here is a rough plan.
- Fed 215 Primers
- 200gr. AB @ 3.340" OACL
- H1000

Does this all work, obviously following Hodgdon charge recommendations and being attentive for pressure signs?

Yes, my suggestion is to follow the reloading manual. With the 200 NAB, I used ...

CCI, and H4831SC. H1000 is an excellent powder but had a better result with the H4831SC. Remember results varies from rifle to rifle.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/300-winchester-magnum/

Yes, my suggestion is to follow the reloading manual. With the 200 NAB, I used ...

CCI, and H4831SC. H1000 is an excellent powder but had a better result with the H4831SC. Remember results varies from rifle to rifle.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/300-winchester-magnum/

I will be sure to give the H4831 a look as well. I will most likely end up loading the H1000 and seeing it's performance, but will be sure to broaden my options.

If you try and seat a 215 at 3.34 your not gonna have hardly any bearing surface in the neck.
3.7 on a 300WM is probably at or a little above the neck shoulder junction.
The bearing surface on a 215 is .463
3.7 - 3.34= .360
.463 - .360 = .103
Thats .103 of the bullet grip on the neck

If you try and seat a 215 at 3.34 your not gonna have hardly any bearing surface in the neck.
3.7 on a 300WM is probably at or a little above the neck shoulder junction.
The bearing surface on a 215 is .463
3.7 - 3.34= .360
.463 - .360 = .103
Thats .103 of the bullet grip on the neck

I'm sorry, I was referring to seating the Accubond at 3.34". So, with the information you provided, a 215 COAL would be somewhere right above 3.6"?

Dumb question... after determining the maximum case length that will fit in my rifle, or CBTO where it contacts the lands (not that I would load this), is it possible at this length the bullet does not have enough bearing contact?

If it was seated to 3.34 no you wouldnt.
At 3.6 yes there would be plenty.
Saami factory ammo is 3.34 so any long action like a tikka with a 3.4 mag box will work.
Will it work yes is it ideal no.
In my opinion there is no need to stuff a bunch of bullet into the case if you dont have to.

If this is ur first attempt at reloading, I don't know if the Nosler manual shows it but online they star the most accurate load tested. In two separate rifles I was really close to their most accurate load tested as my best load.
Just something to maybe help you without getting complicated

I understand the O.P is a new reloader.
I would try to find somebody to help you get started it will help the learning curve.
Even if you cant strip your bolt Alex Wheeler has a very good video on how to find the lands which I feel is the most accurate. There are other ways and I would read up on it or watch other videos.
I'm not trying to make this difficult, but a new reloader needs to be comfortable on how to find the lands before you start putting primers and powder in cases and seating bullets. You dont want to be jammed into the lands.

I understand the O.P is a new reloader.
I would try to find somebody to help you get started it will help the learning curve.

Even if you cant strip your bolt Alex Wheeler has a very good video on how to find the lands which I feel is the most accurate. There are other ways and I would read up on it or watch other videos.
I'm not trying to make this difficult, but a new reloader needs to be comfortable on how to find the lands before you start putting primers and powder in cases and seating bullets.
You dont want to be jammed into the lands.

I agree! That is why I made the comment to slow down and start with the basics as it does not happen overnight.

Below is the OP's post yesterday from another post he started (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/new-rifle-recommendations.232383/)

I already have optics, don't reload but planning to.

Last edited:
If this is ur first attempt at reloading, I don't know if the Nosler manual shows it but online they star the most accurate load tested. In two separate rifles I was really close to their most accurate load tested as my best load.
Just something to maybe help you without getting complicated

Yes, they do and I provided it to the OP on my #17 response. I agree, no need to complicate it unnecessarily to a new reloader.

So, after doing some research online it appears that the magazine length for the X-Bolt is 3.6". Additionally, it looks like most folks exceed this length when loading the Hybrid, ending around the 3.7" mark. I use this rifle for hunting, so single feeding is not an option. Should I scrap the idea of using the Hybrid since my COAL will be reduced quite significantly by the magazine?

Thanks in advance.

I use the ELD 208 gr, fits the magazine, shoots 3/8" groups, devastating on game.
upload_2019-12-21_9-27-9.jpeg
upload_2019-12-21_9-28-35.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-21_9-28-3.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-21_9-28-3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.