300WM XBolt Stalker -- Max COAL: Do 215 Berger Hybrids Fit?

Brydawg512

So, after doing some research online it appears that the magazine length for the X-Bolt is 3.6". Additionally, it looks like most folks exceed this length when loading the Hybrid, ending around the 3.7" mark. I use this rifle for hunting, so single feeding is not an option. Should I scrap the idea of using the Hybrid since my COAL will be reduced quite significantly by the magazine?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
So, after doing some research online it appears that the magazine length for the X-Bolt is 3.6". Additionally, it looks like most folks exceed this length when loading the Hybrid, ending around the 3.7" mark. I use this rifle for hunting, so single feeding is not an option. Should I scrap the idea of using the Hybrid since my COAL will be reduced quite significantly by the magazine?

Thanks in advance.

My advice to you on your other post remains the same ...

You have gotten excellent recommendations! "My" advice to a new reloader is to get the reloading manual of the bullet you are going to load "if" available, i.e., Berger, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, etc., ... take your time and enjoy the reloading process and rewards.

I have been reloading for a while and I still buy reloading manuals today for references.

As you gain more experience in reloading, you can experiment safely. The goal is to find the best compromise between COAL and CBTO. I have three .300 WMs are all of them have different sweet spots.

https://bergerbullets.com/vld-making-shoot/

https://bergerbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/COAL.pdf

Not really. It depends on what you deem acceptable though. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a load that shoot sub 1MOA with the 215 and H1000.

Not really. It depends on what you deem acceptable though. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a load that shoot sub 1MOA with the 215 and H1000.

Sub 1 MOA is acceptable for me. I'm just wondering because reading the other posts, I'd be starting atleast 0.100" off the lands just to get the cartridge in the magazine. I feel like I would miss out on a lot of potential having it start this far off?

Sub 1 MOA is acceptable for me. I'm just wondering because reading the other posts, I'd be starting atleast 0.100" off the lands just to get the cartridge in the magazine. I feel like I would miss out on a lot of potential having it start this far off?
https://bergerbullets.com/berger-hybrid-bullets/

According to Berger, the Hybrid ogive was developed specifically to reduce seating depth sensitivity. Judging by the results that a lot of guys on here post, I'm inclined to believe them.

Are you sure it is .100" and not .010"? Have you taken "actual" CBTO and CBTO measurements out of your set-up?

COAL CBTO 2 of 3.jpg

(CBTO)

COAL CBTO 1 of 3.jpg

COAL CBTO 3 of 3.jpg

(COAL)

This is with 200 NAB off one of my .300 WM, it's 020" off the lands. My other two .300 WMs are in the 3.5" COAL range depending on bullet used.

My 215 Berger load for my .300 WSM is .080" off the lands.

As I previously noted, you need to find the best compromise between the CBTO and COAL of your rifle, not others.

Are you sure it is .100" and not .010"? Have you taken "actual" CBTO and CBTO measurements out of your set-up?

View attachment 164088

(CBTO)

View attachment 164089
View attachment 164090

(COAL)

This is with 200 NAB off one of my .300 WM, it's 020" off the lands. My other two .300 WMs are in the 3.5" COAL range depending on bullet used.

My 215 Berger load for my .300 WSM is .080" off the lands.

As I previously noted, you need to find the best compromise between the CBTO and COAL of your rifle, not others.

My apologies, the COAL would need to be reduced, most likely, by around the 0.100" mark to fit in the magazine. I haven't taken the measurements yet as I don't have the rifle, but it is on my list of things to do.

So, are you saying if the longest I can load to fit into mag is 3.585", start here and keep backing it off to see if results improve? Even if that 3.585" is 0.090"+ away from the lands already?

My apologies, the COAL would need to be reduced, most likely, by around the 0.100" mark to fit in the magazine. I haven't taken the measurements yet as I don't have the rifle, but it is on my list of things to do.

So, are you saying if the longest I can load to fit into mag is 3.585", start here and keep backing it off to see if results improve? Even if that 3.585" is 0.090"+ away from the lands already?
If you don't want to single feed, then the only other option is to go shorter or go to a different brand/style of bullet that is not as sensitive to seating depth.

Yes, just as RIck Richard noted. Remember SAAMI COAL for .300 WM is 3.34".

If you don't want to single feed, then the only other option is to go shorter or go to a different brand/style of bullet that is not as sensitive to seating depth.

Correct. Now, I am very, very new to all this. Are Accubond bullets seating depth sensitive? How do I determine the seating depth sensitivity of a bullet?

Yes, just as RIck Richard noted. Remember SAAMI COAL for .300 WM is 3.34".

So, I understand the SAAMI COAL, however, if the throat allows, how do I determine the actual safe maximum COAL, so that the bullet is not seated to far out? If I can fit 3.595" cartridges in my mag and chamber the round, how do I determine starting charge grainage and make sure there is enough of the bearing surface being contacted by thr casing?

Let's put it like this. Bergers are the most seating depth sensitive bullet that I have used, however extremely accurate out of all the ones I have used especially at longer ranges.

Now, the only way to determine if a bullet is at the right distance from the lands can only be found through trial and error. The best way I have found to do this is using the Berger method for finding seating depth.

Good luck and remember it takes some effort to get the most out of a rifle... And everyone of them is different, but it's all part of the fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.