300wsm & 215 Berger hybrids

No problem. Its definitely a mild load considering its a 32" barrel. But most of the time the lower nodes are more consistent day in and day out. Ive found that out with my 300 norma improved. VV N570 230 berger at 2930 fps with a SD of 6 for 15 shots. Its an absolute cupcake load for a 26" barrel. I had it at 3075 with no pressure signs. But the lower speeds were VERY consistent. Ill run that any day.

Consistent accuracy is the goal & if higher velocity comes with it then that's a bonus. Thanks for posting

If you need a back up plan from the Bergers, try Hornady, I have a custom 300WSM Tikka with a 5R 1-10 Bartlein barrel and A3 McMillian Stock. This hunting rifle loves Hornaday 200gr ELDX push by Reloader 17 @ 2995fps here at 300ft in elevation 1/2 moa groups. In higher elevations 3020 fps at 7200ft in Wy also 9800ft Az 1/4 moa groups.
So far no big mulie or bull elk have needed tracking, they just dropped on the spot. Most shots were from 450 to 750yds.

Post #7 here https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tikka-an-appropriate-action-for-the-nosler-family.221757/ says 2960ish with the 215 in a 24 inch barrel. That sounds outstanding to me. You might do the magical 3000 in a 26 inch. Who needs a long magnum...lol
I can easily get to 2900 using a 190 VLD in a 24 inch A7 Sako without pushing pressure. And, these have been the most accurate bullets I have shot in that rifle. Ever variation I tried were sub MOA and the best were in the 0.3 range. This rifle was used with that bullet to take a Coues deer at 712 yards a few years ago.

If you need a back up plan from the Bergers, try Hornady, I have a custom 300WSM Tikka with a 5R 1-10 Bartlein barrel and A3 McMillian Stock. This hunting rifle loves Hornaday 200gr ELDX push by Reloader 17 @ 2995fps here at 300ft in elevation 1/2 moa groups. In higher elevations 3020 fps at 7200ft in Wy also 9800ft Az 1/4 moa groups.
So far no big mulie or bull elk have needed tracking, they just dropped on the spot. Most shots were from 450 to 750yds.

We've tried the Hornady eld-x in a few rifles & have never been able to find consistent accuracy like Berger bullets. I shoot 140 vld's in my 6.5x284 & 168 hybrids in a 7 rm with great accuracy & success. Really wanted the Hornady to be "the" bullet but they never were for us unfortunately. Not out of the question to try some 200's or 212's however.‍♂️

That's with R26, it was so good the guy didn't look anywhere else just started stacking them, running a CRUX suppressor and it's just a sweeeeet hunting rig.
If you don't mine a little fire forming I would give strong consideration to the 300 MAX, I've done two 7 MAX's, mine is on a HCA barrel which I'm interested to see how it works, I got good velocity but will need dies before I do much more with it, but a 300 MAX will give you better brass than the WSM and I think it should be right there for performance.

What is a 300 Max?

I seem to have a long term running "gun battle" with a long time friend about this very thing.. he has a 300 Win Mag. he wants to use 200+ grain slugs in it and has discounted everything I have ever told him about long range accuracy and 1:10" twist rates. from what I used to do for a hobby, 1,000 and 1 mile competitions, I would never use over a 190 grain for the 1,000 yard and 1 mile comps as the slug would go unstable if I used anything heavier. my best advice and the same advice I gave him.. do not use anything over a 175 grain VLD ELD slug in a 1:10" twist rate. If you go heavy, go with a 1:8" or 1:7" twist rate. I do not care what it states on the box.. after 600 yards, maybe 800 yards the 200+ grain slugs go unstable in flight. What every combination you decide to use.. do not use 1:10" twist rate barrels for those heavy slugs, 200 - 240 grain.
most all reamer MFGR's I know require a special order for the long VLD/ELD slug throats.

I seem to have a long term running "gun battle" with a long time friend about this very thing.. he has a 300 Win Mag. he wants to use 200+ grain slugs in it and has discounted everything I have ever told him about long range accuracy and 1:10" twist rates. from what I used to do for a hobby, 1,000 and 1 mile competitions, I would never use over a 190 grain for the 1,000 yard and 1 mile comps as the slug would go unstable if I used anything heavier. my best advice and the same advice I gave him.. do not use anything over a 175 grain VLD ELD slug in a 1:10" twist rate. If you go heavy, go with a 1:8" or 1:7" twist rate. I do not care what it states on the box.. after 600 yards, maybe 800 yards the 200+ grain slugs go unstable in flight. What every combination you decide to use.. do not use 1:10" twist rate barrels for those heavy slugs, 200 - 240 grain.
most all reamer MFGR's I know require a special order for the long VLD/ELD slug throats.

Thank you for that knowledge & advice. I will make sure I am on the same page with the smith on bullet choice & what's expected from the rifle.

I'm with your buddy on this one, depends on your elevation I can run 215 out of my 10 twist 308 and have no accuracy issues at 1600 yards, a plethora of 10 twist 300's in various chamberings all shot for long range and no issues. If I were building something for sea level and 230's ya I'd go a 1-9 but that would be it, I certainly would not load anything less than the 200.20x which will run a 10 twist at any elevation excellent, a 175 gr bullet is a light 7mm bullet!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.