300wsm & 215 Berger hybrids

POORBOY

Anybody running this combination from a medium/long action & throated long? Looking for info on what I could expect performance/accuracy wise from a 26" custom tikka lr hunting build?

I ran that combo for a couple of months in a Gap 300 WSM, I will get you the details of my load data that I had. I do know we tried them in a buddies 300 WSM also and it didn't do well at all as the throat in his rifle was way shorter than mine so that berger was way to far down in the powder column, it might depend a lot on what the throat was reamed for on your rifle. I will shoot you a message later on when I get off work.

I ran that combo for a couple of months in a Gap 300 WSM, I will get you the details of my load data that I had. I do know we tried them in a buddies 300 WSM also and it didn't do well at all as the throat in his rifle was way shorter than mine so that berger was way to far down in the powder column, it might depend a lot on what the throat was reamed for on your rifle. I will shoot you a message later on when I get off work.

If I go with this combo it will be throated for it. I am having the gun built on my tikka at HCA with their carbon wrapped 26" tubes later this year after all the new tikka stocks & accessories are available. Thanks for the response.

I run this combo in 24 inch barrel in a moa evolution rifle. Using 4831sc, off hand don't remember the number of grains. I get 2650 fps. Does shoot well, if I do my part half inch moa. Which is good for me. Sounds like a nice rifle you are having built. Good luck

I know you are talking about a different length action, but my stock Savage model 12 short action runs the 215 at 2870 over 67 grains of H4831SC. It is seated low (to achieve COAL to 2.950 to 2.900, but its accuracy is outstanding. I have done some experimenting with seating the Berger low enough to fit in a detachable mag and have no accuracy issues or precision issues. Still shoots sub 1/2 MOA at 600 plus yards.

You mileage may vary.

I set up a reamer specifically for the the 300 WSM with a 215 in a Tikka as a long action and it's exceptional, moderate load in a 24 inch barrel is running just over 2900 fps but with a 26 inch and pushing it a little I think 3000 would be doable if a node was there. The first one I built has been racking up one shot kills on elk like a pin ball machine!!

I set up a reamer specifically for the the 300 WSM with a 215 in a Tikka as a long action and it's exceptional, moderate load in a 24 inch barrel is running just over 2900 fps but with a 26 inch and pushing it a little I think 3000 would be doable if a node was there. The first one I built has been racking up one shot kills on elk like a pin ball machine!!

I'm guessing that's with Retumbo? Not sure if you have tried N570, You think you could squeeze 50-75 more fps with It possibly?

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I think I've all but decided to go this route for this build & maybe a 7Sherman max later since I have a 7RM that shoots 168 Berger hybrids quite nicely already. Keep the info coming guys I really appreciate it.

That's with R26, it was so good the guy didn't look anywhere else just started stacking them, running a CRUX suppressor and it's just a sweeeeet hunting rig.
If you don't mine a little fire forming I would give strong consideration to the 300 MAX, I've done two 7 MAX's, mine is on a HCA barrel which I'm interested to see how it works, I got good velocity but will need dies before I do much more with it, but a 300 MAX will give you better brass than the WSM and I think it should be right there for performance.

I had my custom 300 WSM built with the 215 in mind but I think I went a little short on the FB. Running a Defiance XM action. Never did try the 215s but I settled on a good load with the 200.20x. At .010 off the lands the Boat tail is right at the case neck junction. I went with a .088 FB.
During load development I hit 3000+ FPS with a proof 26" 10 twist barrel without pressure signs. Didn't want to push it to pressure signs so I settled on 69grn of RL26 with an average velocity of 2930fps. At 69grns of RL 26 I still have room in the case for powder.

Are there any reamer companies that make a longer free bore reamer (.200 to .250" freebore), that are NOT a custom order?
Or do all longer free bore 300 WSM reamers need to be custom ordered?
Thanks

Are there any reamer companies that make a longer free bore reamer (.200 to .250" freebore), that are NOT a custom order?
Or do all longer free bore 300 WSM reamers need to be custom ordered?
Thanks
i i think youre looking at custom but youre on the right track with . 250 free bore

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.