300wm or 30-06

Jerriod74

Hi my name is Jerriod and this my first post I been doin a lot of readin about long range. I'm wanting to start shooting long range the rifle I'm going to get to start shooting is a savage 11/111 trophy hunter xp I want to get 30 cal. It will be rifle i can slowly build up. first i will be getting a scope for it. I'm wanting to go elk hunting and I been looking at 300wm but it is going to cost more for reloading then 30/06 so my question is what are the advatanges are for 300wm verses 30/06 for long range hunting?
Thanks for all the input

They will both kill your elk right now with good bullet placement. They both have a good offering of factory ammo that can be found at most stores that carry ammo. The 300 win factory ammo will have a better variety of ammo suited for long range. I see little difference in loading cost. Just a little more powder for the 300 win which is not going to be that noticeable to your loading budget. So I would not ponder on that. All other components are the same. It boils down to the distance you want to hunt. The simple fact is the 300 win will have more energy, will send a larger bullet faster and in my opinion do a better job of killing when you stretch out the shot.

Jeff

They will both kill your elk right now with good bullet placement. They both have a good offering of factory ammo that can be found at most stores that carry ammo. The 300 win factory ammo will have a better variety of ammo suited for long range. I see little difference in loading cost. Just a little more powder for the 300 win which is not going to be that noticeable to your loading budget. So I would not ponder on that. All other components are the same. It boils down to the distance you want to hunt. The simple fact is the 300 win will have more energy, will send a larger bullet faster and in my opinion do a better job of killing when you stretch out the shot.

Jeff
+1, Me myself would not even consider 30-06 even though it is a good cal. 300 win mag has more advantages, Myself im a 7mag man just my 2 cents.gun)

+1, Me myself would not even consider 30-06 even though it is a good cal. 300 win mag has more advantages, Myself im a 7mag man just my 2 cents.gun)

Nothing wrong with a 7 mag either. I have built and tested many of them. Again it boils down to distance and how hard you want to hit them. With some of the new 215 and 230 bullets for the 30 cals they have the edge. But when the new 7mm 195 Berger gets here I will be out testing them against my 300 with the 215's like I did with the 7mm 180's. The 195's could very well be a game changer.

Jeff

between those two calibers BROZ hit the nail on the head. can't see any reason not to get the WIN... the 7mm would be in the conversasion for me too but the 300WIN is a hard caliber to beat if you want the most out of one gun.

All advantages go to the magnum, unless you're nostalgic about the 30-06. I don't think its possible to save money going with the 30-06. Someone likely can come up with a scenario, but in reality its not there.

Thanks for all the feed back I'm goin to go with 300wm I busted wanted to know how better it would be done range verses 30/06 and the way I take it 300wm beats the 30/06 for range and power down range
Thanks again for the feed back
Jerriod

Congrats on your decision and welcome to the premier LRH site on the web!

You will find the .300 Win to be more than capable for what you're wanting to do with .30cal.

Handloading is the key to unlocking all that the .300 Win cartridge is capable of as you've no doubt already learned.

Try not to get too focused on all the spec's and minutia with LRH at first - just enjoy shooting for what it is and go from there as you learn more about what you like and as your skills increase.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.