300GR SMK Performance on Antelope

gamedog

Devirginized the 338 Edge this weekend on Antelope opener.
Was hoping to stretch this girl out a ways but Mothere Nature disagreed and gave us 3 days of a white out snowstorm. We ended up with 11" of snow and mud:mad:
Visability was around 400 yards max for most of the 3 days.
Managed to jump a group at 250 yards and this doe wasn't able to outrun the ol 300 SMK.
Hit her a couple inches behind the heart.
Here is the exit wound. It broke the 4 ribs about 6" above the exit hole.
Needless to say there wasn't much tracking required.
pups016.jpg

Here's the hero shot, don't mind the ugly mug:D
pups015.jpg

My nephew doing some skinning on his doe.
pups013.jpg

There is still plenty of season left to get after a buck and one more doe.

Very nice and thanks for the pictures. This latest storm seemed to hit the whole western half of the country pretty hard but snow on an antelope hunt still seems a bit weird!

By the way, I love your sig line. Instant classic.

Any estimate of impact velocity? Also curious as the the entrance wound from the SMK. Do you get a caliber sized hole going in or does it open up fast and give a big hole there too?

Thanks, and congratulations.

edge.

Any estimate of impact velocity? Also curious as the the entrance wound from the SMK. Do you get a caliber sized hole going in or does it open up fast and give a big hole there too?

Thanks, and congratulations.

edge.
Impact velocity should be around 2564 fps.
The bullet left 338 hole on the entrance. Passed in between ribs and then did it's job.
Zero meat loss:D

That sure looks like some cold speed goat huntin ! That gun sure stills looks as cool as I remember it did ! Nice one .

Now all you need is a clear day, no wind , fresh batterys in the pda and a good lookout ! BOOOOOOOOOM !

DUH

Good shooting, looks like work with all the snow. I didn't go, lost power in the house so waited that out. I'll be around Roundup in 513 this Fri and Sat hunting goats, might give you a call if we can't find any Fri.
Congrats on the 338 Edge kill!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.