300gr SMK Woes-Maybe??

[ QUOTE ]
i am asking the same question reguarding mk's on elk under 800 yards, will they expand and penetrate ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue is not one of range. The issue is impact velocity and location. You should ask a question in a way that has a reasonable chance of getting an intelligent answer.

I learned quickly that when using the SMK that is it my opinion that the best choice is to take out shoulder bones when you shoot big game critters. I like breaking the shoulders on big game. Generally, they do not travel nearly as far as a double lung punched animal and in the case of the 300 gr SMK, the bone helps initiate more expansion as well.

I am not saying at all that a chest shot is not a good killing shot because that could not be farther from the trueth. All I am saying is that in areas with heavy cover I really prefer to give up a little shoulder meat to put an animal on its nose in a hurry.

The farther an animal travels past the first 100 yards from a hit, the higher the odds of loosing the animal are, even with a critically wounded animal.

I am not sure if you were holding for a shoulder hit or not but I can assure you that big 300 gr SMK out of your Edge will make a more authoritative impact on shoulders then it will on a soft chest impact. Dead is dead but in heavy cover that may not result in a recovered animal in every case.

I would also not get to carried away with your perception of this first hunt. S___ happens to all of us. I suspect your next outing may result in a totally different result.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.