Bergara Highlander help…. Maybe?

First off Thanks for your support!
I just went and looked/felt for long base screws and it checks out to me I can't see or feel anything but the holes but hopfully it's something else that's simple!
RJ, There is a member here that goes by the handle "Jose-Bergara" wonder if you might be able to reach out to him by PM and get some timely assistance.

OP you are not alone! I have a HMR that I'm very unimpressed with.

Curious, does your action finish match the barrel? Mine doesn't, looks like it didn't get the same treatment.. anyways when putting a scope on, I dropped a ring screw and it chipped the finish! WTH

I touched it up with a freaking sharpie but attached is a pic for visual. I put mine in a KRG Bravo and a Timney in it. Was going to go to the range soon and stumbled on this post so I loaded a couple mags for a test and it doesn't feed reliability. Bolt doesn't want to close, some rounds get hung up.

I have many rifles costing half as much that are much higher quality. I can't attest to accuracy as I haven't shot it (and probably won't) but would be surprised if it even fires. Garbage imo. IMG_20210714_222158115.jpg

OP you are not alone! I have a HMR that I'm very unimpressed with.

Curious, does your action finish match the barrel? Mine doesn't, looks like it didn't get the same treatment.. anyways when putting a scope on, I dropped a ring screw and it chipped the finish! WTH

I touched it up with a freaking sharpie but attached is a pic for visual. I put mine in a KRG Bravo and a Timney in it. Was going to go to the range soon and stumbled on this post so I loaded a couple mags for a test and it doesn't feed reliability. Bolt doesn't want to close, some rounds get hung up.

I have many rifles costing half as much that are much higher quality. I can't attest to accuracy as I haven't shot it (and probably won't) but would be surprised if it even fires. Garbage imo.View attachment 284899
Luckily mine does match! I hate your having a issue as well.

I think Bergara may need to step up the QC game, they don't need to go down the road Remington went. This is my 2nd gun with issues with them. Shelling out the money I have had on them is hard.

I really think they need to go back to shooting each rifle and sending the target with the rifle from the get go like they used to (Atleast with the premier series) if they did that not only would they catch the issues that I'm having and that you are having but we would know the gun shot great! They wouldn't have customers complaining/ wasting time and EXPENSIVE ammo at the range.

Your action looks like my barrel and action, it has the dull sniper grey cerekote finish on it, your barrel on the other hand looks like my old Ridge when they first came out and just had a blued barrel finish, surely to goodness they wouldn't have a cerekoted action but not barrel on your rifle?

I'll attach a pic of what mine looks like

Attachments

• 2726EC12-0C13-4EB7-93A1-64D9DAFA8DB4.jpeg
    2726EC12-0C13-4EB7-93A1-64D9DAFA8DB4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
surely to goodness they wouldn't have a cerekoted action but not barrel on your rifle?

I think your onto something! Unreal, you'd think cerakote would be more durable tho. I could probably remove it with a toothbrush!

I'd love to see their facility I bet it's a disaster!

With those problems, reloasding won't help much. Send it to a highly competant gunsmith, and have him disassemble, check, then reassemble the entire package, correcting any flaws he finds! If this doesn't correct it, return it for a refund! A friend of mine bought a new Bergara with various problems, and after several weeks of grief he traded it for a Weatherly Vanguard, which he now dearly loves!

What did you have to send them back for if you don't mind m e asking?
hunter 6.5 accuracy, bbl is canted in stock but is free floated, remedy action screws 55 inch lbs front lug first terain acc & brass scratching neither rifle would shoot moa with 140gr hornady match good news is both will shoot 3/4 to 1/2 in group with hand loads the scratch brass was comming from lug abuttment per bergara

I think your onto something! Unreal, you'd think cerakote would be more durable tho. I could probably remove it with a toothbrush!

I'd love to see their facility I bet it's a disaster!
I would think so too, that's wild it's that thin on yours! hopefully I don't run into the cerekote being really thin on mine.

With those problems, reloasding won't help much. Send it to a highly competant gunsmith, and have him disassemble, check, then reassemble the entire package, correcting any flaws he finds! If this doesn't correct it, return it for a refund! A friend of mine bought a new Bergara with various problems, and after several weeks of grief he traded it for a Weatherly Vanguard, which he now dearly loves!
Good to know I'll look into it!

hunter 6.5 accuracy, bbl is canted in stock but is free floated, remedy action screws 55 inch lbs front lug first terain acc & brass scratching neither rifle would shoot moa with 140gr hornady match good news is both will shoot 3/4 to 1/2 in group with hand loads the scratch brass was comming from lug abuttment per bergara
Interesting I wonder if mine is coming from a lug abuttment, did your brass look like mine?

The bolt cycles empty flawlessly, feels amazing! It also feels great with a unfired shell, it isn't until the brass is fired when I start having issues with it which has improved greatly since I took it to my local gun smith, and I'll look into taking everything off again, is this to help potentially tighten the groups up?
The questions are simply trying to help with troubleshooting. The comments about the mounting process is for accuracy.
Basically, it's my belief any clearance needs to be eliminated, torque on everything should be even. Some guns shoot better with the front action screw tight, the rear slightly less, and if it has a screw in front of the trigger it should barely be tight enough to not fall out.
The not cycling smoothly though is a form function issue I would pursue first.

I'll have to look into that, Bergara said they don't bed them since it's a fiberglass stock but I don't see why that would keep them from doing that.
Your higher grade gun probably has a much stiffer stock than my plain Ridge. The Ridge is kinda flimsy. So is a Tikka, but I have one of them that shoots surprisingly well with no modifications at all - but it is not a 300 PRC either LOL.