Seekins Havak vs. Bergara Highlander

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by dfitz7604, Aug 21, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

Havak vs. Highlander.

Poll closed Aug 28, 2019.
  1. Seekins Havak

23 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. Bergara Highlander.

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. dfitz7604

dfitz7604 Member

Hello all,

I am looking for information on the Seekins Havak and Bergara Highlander in 300prc. It’s main use will be for pack in hunts. I will limit myself to 500 yards on game animals. Price and weight are about the same so neither one wins out there. The highlander is a 1-9 twist vs Havak at 1-10. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. djfriesen

djfriesen Well-Known Member

I'd lean towards the tighter twist, all else being equal. I don't have personal experience with either manufacturer, but have heard mostly good about both.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Ryan Worsham likes this.
  3. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Well-Known Member

My pick would be the Seekins Havak. Seekins has a long standing reputation of quality and customer service. I like the extended magazine for longer loads/bullets as well as the 26" barrel in the magnums.
    Bergara makes a nice rifle and I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot but the BDL floor plate and the 24" barrel in the PRC makes me pick the Seekins.

Calhntr and Barrelnut like this.
  4. Braunschweiger

Braunschweiger Well-Known Member

I'd say you'll be happy with either one. Both are fantastic companies who take pride in their work. The 1:9 twist is more appealing for heavier bullets, but is BDL vers mag fed. Pick your poison. I honestly love the look of the highlander. I've owned higher end Bergara rifles and they are supremely accurate for factory.

5. SShultz

SShultz Well-Known Member

I spent some serious time and energy researching before I settled on a twist for my PRC that I’m having built. I think Seekins may have messed up going with 1-10 twist. I’m sure the gun will shoot the 212s and under just fine, but I ended up going 1-9 twist and a lot of others are going tighter than that. I would lean towards the Bergara simply for the tighter twist barrel.

Hogbreath55 likes this.
  6. dfitz7604

dfitz7604 Member

That is what is holding me up from the Seekins. I like the look of the spiral flutes. It has always caught my eye. I’d like to run the high 190’s hammer bullets, and they recommend 9 to 9.5 twist. I don’t need to have a mag, they concern me with the possibility of losing it while I’m brush. All of this is pushing me to the highlander.

Braunschweiger likes this.
  7. SShultz

SShultz Well-Known Member

Don’t get me wrong, the Seekins is a sexy rifle. I love Seekins products. I just don’t feel like the 1-10 twist just isn’t the right choice for the 300 PRC.

8. PredatorSlayer

PredatorSlayer Well-Known Member

You won’t regret getting one of the bergara premiers. This entire line is amazing. I don’t have any experience with Seekins - they look sexy tho.

9. Recon$$

Recon$$ Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with my Havak in 6.5 prc. Would buy another.

Epirate43 likes this.
  10. spinal tap

spinal tap Member

I'm voting the Highlander as it's on my list to pick up in the next year or so in that same chambering. I'm still busy with my CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC at the moment, though. FWIW, I usually prefer BDL floorplates to detachable magazines.

11. 73driver

73driver Well-Known Member

I have both a Havak and Bergara HMR Pro each chambered in 6.5C. They both shoot .4 MOA or better, I have a definite preference for the Bergara, it's bolt just feels nicer to cycle. Since it is a pack rifle and shots will be to a max of 500 yards then a 24 inch barrel is perfect. Magazines are expensive and both these rifles can be a little finicky about which brand magazine they will function with. My vote is the Highlander.

12. Calhntr

Calhntr Member LRH Team Member

Seekins

13. Coloradomuley

Coloradomuley New Member

I have the seekins havak 300 win and love it. It shoots 210 vlds 212 eldx 230 Berger’s and 215 Berger’s my final load is 215s and H-1000 sub 1/2 MOA. I would not hesitate on the seekins very nice rifle for the money. I just ordered a 6.5 PRC.

Calhntr likes this.
  14. dfitz7604

dfitz7604 Member

Thank you all for the info. I will most likely go with the highlander. I want the faster twist and bottom drop out.