350 SMK Terminal performance

Kiwi Greg

Hi, I have tried various searches but haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for opinions/advise on the terminal performance of the 375, 350 SMK on game animals.

How do they compare to the 300 SMK, I understand they may be tougher, but I'm unsure as to whether they will be suitable or not.

I will have a couple of chamberings up & running soon to try them & the 330 CE bullets in.

I will probably be running them at 28-3000fps, not sure yet.

What twist rate will they stand ?

Cheers Greg.

I shot those in my 378 wby between 2900-3000 fps with good results. I took an elk with one and it was a complete pass through so I had no bullet to look at. Judging from the internal damage to the animal and the exit wound I feel like the bullet did open up and expand. The range was between 700-800 yards at about 7500 feet elevation so you can calculate about what the impact velocity was. 2950 would be a good muzzle velocity but I don't remember exactly.

I have no experience with the 330 grain CE bullet.

I shot those in my 378 wby between 2900-3000 fps with good results. I took an elk with one and it was a complete pass through so I had no bullet to look at. Judging from the internal damage to the animal and the exit wound I feel like the bullet did open up and expand. The range was between 700-800 yards at about 7500 feet elevation so you can calculate about what the impact velocity was. 2950 would be a good muzzle velocity but I don't remember exactly.

I have no experience with the 330 grain CE bullet.

Thanks for your reply.

I have shot Red Deer with the 400 CE @ 2900 in my 375 Terminator at 775 & 600 yards the damage is incredible, more to do with the sheer size & energy of the projectile, it had to be more that just expansion.

I'm hopeing that situation will continue with the SMK.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.