3006 vs 7 rem mag to buy or not to buy

I'm not going to get scientific I'm just comparing the performance and accuracy out to the range im shooting I don't care if one is .280 or .308 diameter just wanting to know if the new rifle would be justified which I have found that it is not I have found that I can get it done with the 06 that goes both ways if I had 7rm I wouldn't have to switch either there both right there in ballistics the 7 is a little better but not enough to switch and the 06 gives me heavier bullet selection "know your rifle,know your range and know your ballistics" and you can do anything with the 06 that the 7rm can do

I'm not going to get scientific I'm just comparing the performance and accuracy out to the range im shooting I don't care if one is .280 or .308 diameter just wanting to know if the new rifle would be justified which I have found that it is not I have found that I can get it done with the 06 that goes both ways if I had 7rm I wouldn't have to switch either there both right there in ballistics the 7 is a little better but not enough to switch and the 06 gives me heavier bullet selection "know your rifle,know your range and know your ballistics" and you can do anything with the 06 that the 7rm can do

Now you made it worst! :rolleyes:

I totally agree.

I am loading 168gr Accubond LR's with 79.3gr (a hair BELOW Max!) of RL-33 in my M70 with a 26" Benchmark barrel and getting 3,128FPS with sub 1/2 at 100 yards.
thats more powder longer barrel and more recoil for such a small return I get 3050fps 60gr.h4350 with 24in barrel 5r barrel with 165s sub moa 06

thats more powder longer barrel and more recoil for such a small return I get 3050fps 60gr.h4350 with 24in barrel 5r barrel with 165s sub moa 06

Sounds like an efficient load to me, good for you.

I know that we are splitting hairs here because my 7mm load can't do anything yours can but with that said, you can't compare a 165gr 30 cal bullet with a high BC 168gr 7mm bullet. Again, no difference under 300 or so but big one at long range.
An animal won't know the difference but I'm just sayin

yep were just splitting hairs this debate can and will go on forever if I go heavier I can get better BC.s but velocity suffers but then energy and wind drift come in to play like u said its splitting hairs

yep were just splitting hairs this debate can and will go on forever if I go heavier I can get better BC.s but velocity suffers but then energy and wind drift come in to play like u said its splitting hairs

What debate? No one is saying anything negative about .30-06. I too love my .30-06.

Guys are just trying to help you and point out the difference. But if you're not receptive about it, then that's on you. lightbulb

One thing I learned and still learning is that most members are always willing and able to help. The more receptive you are the more you learn and the further you get.

I appreciate everyones opinion on the subject in conclusion I figured out I can keep my 06 and get done what I need to get done I was just looking at a new 7mag I was hoping I would find justification for the purchase and I see no reason to buy it based on everybodys opinion on the matter if I take anything from this debate is I'm gonna have to go bigger than the 7mag to get significantly more performance then that will just cost me more...

What debate? No one is saying anything negative about .30-06. I too love my .30-06.

Guys are just trying to help you and point out the difference. But if you're not receptive about it, then that's on you. lightbulb

One thing I learned and still learning is that most members are always willing and able to help. The more receptive you are the more you learn and the further you get.
that doesn't help a bit I'm very receptive about the subject I guess I was hoping someone would convince me it didn't work this time I really enjoy the debate also that's all on me maybe its something I have to work on I'm a timbercutter I work in the woods alone so my social skills could use some work I might not see or talk to someone for days if I come across as a little blunt im sorry

Gohring,

Don't feel bad about anything, you social skills are just fine and I enjoyed your post.

You sound like you really love your 06 and have confidence with it and have also found a great load. I love my 7mm and I am loyal to it but I can't see spending all that money and time finding a load for a round that isn't even out performing your 06 until you pass 300 yards or so.....even then as long as you know your range and dope you can make the same shot with your 06.

My 7mm won't kill anything that your 06 cannot....the 7mm is just a bit more efficient at long range.

My 2 cents of course:)

that doesn't help a bit I'm very receptive about the subject I guess I was hoping someone would convince me it didn't work this time I really enjoy the debate also that's all on me maybe its something I have to work on I'm a timbercutter I work in the woods alone so my social skills could use some work I might not see or talk to someone for days if I come across as a little blunt im sorry

I agree with your self assessment on your personal social skills. However, it's not working with your post below on another thread (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=937582), esp when you just made the above statement ...

its all fine a dandy with the comments gentlemen (with all do respect) but we agreed to the rules when we signed on as members I respect Mr.Beck I'm sure he understands how this works.rules are rules

Gohring,

Not exactly sure what you mean with your statement, nor do I feel it is important to examine it much further. However all I was saying is, I was a multiple paying advertiser on this site, I did nothing to break any rules while on here. My business was directly competing with the admin of this site, therefore I was removed as a advertiser. Hence the reason I have been spending my time on a off site project that will launch soon.

Other then that if you feel I did you wrong in some way, I apologize.

Thanks again guys.

I agree with your self assessment on your personal social skills. However, it's not working with your post below on another thread (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=937582), esp when you just made the above statement ...
let me be blunt if mr.beck broke some rules on this site and everybody wants to jump me about it that's fine but I think that l.r.h must of had a good reason why to do what they did I'm just sick and tired of everyone breakin rules look on tv everyones doin it that's why we're on the edge of war so if you don't like my opinions I don't f@#$in care what you think

let me be blunt if mr.beck broke some rules on this site and everybody wants to jump me about it that's fine but I think that l.r.h must of had a good reason why to do what they did I'm just sick and tired of everyone breakin rules look on tv everyones doin it that's why we're on the edge of war so if you don't like my opinions I don't f@#$in care what you think

Thanks for being a timbercutter!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.