what caliber to buy ???

reid2210

I am going to buy a Remington sendero but i am having trouble choosing a caliber. I am looking at the 7mm 300 win mag 300 ultra. I want a rifle for all around hunting. I was set on the ultra at first but after talking to a guy he didnt think it was worth it over the 300 win for the extra cost. I am affraid the ultra would be really loud also and would be to much rifle if my wife wanted to shoot it but I like the fact of a heaver grain bullet. If any one has any suggestion please let me know thanks..

I am going to buy a Remington sendero but i am having trouble choosing a caliber. I am looking at the 7mm 300 win mag 300 ultra. I want a rifle for all around hunting. I was set on the ultra at first but after talking to a guy he didnt think it was worth it over the 300 win for the extra cost. I am affraid the ultra would be really loud also and would be to much rifle if my wife wanted to shoot it but I like the fact of a heaver grain bullet. If any one has any suggestion please let me know thanks.

How far is your maximum range and how big of an animal are you mainly intending to shoot? I find the 7mm Rem Mag is perfect for the hunting I do and the ranges I shoot. Primarily deer and pig sized game out to 600-700 yards. The 7mm Rem Mag is obviously adequate for Elk and even Moose sized game but if you intend to do lots of long range shooting at Moose and large bears then obviously the larger 300's have an edge. I don't think many people really do long range shooting of big dangerous bears though so it's kind of a moot point. I've never shot a moose but they seem to be able to soak up hits from just about anything and just take a long time to realize they are dead.

To me and I think the average hunter a big bear or moose are more the exception than the rule and for a do-all gun I think deer, pronghorn and hogs are a much more common target. For deer sized game and up to elk the 7mm is more than adequate. If I just had to take a 1000+ yard shot at elk and larger game I would want one of the bigger cartridges. I don't foresee myself ever being in that situation though.

If you have any experience shooting standard cartridges like a .270 or .30-06 than the 7mm Rem Mag will be no problem without a brake. I HATE muzzle brakes so the 7mm Rem Mag it is for me.

Lots of people up here hunt moose with the 7 mag. And if your shot is good and your bullet tough enough a brown bear is killed just as well with a 7 as a 30 . But IMO dangerous game is not the place for long range shooting. . . I like muzzle brakes and a 7 mag would be fine for your wife to shoot with a brake on it.

I too like muzzle brakes (see attached pic of my Savage 300 RUM) and also hate belted cases. So, if you are going to put a brake on the new rifle then get more rifle. The brake makes the 300 RUM a pussycat. I'm running the 210 Berger Hunting VLD in my 300 RUM at 3,066 fps with a nice friendly load of 97 grains RL-33. The last 3-shot group ran 0.500 inches at 200 yards so accuracy potential is very good. And with the brake your wife can shoot it too.

Attachments

• savage 300 rum.jpg
    savage 300 rum.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 13
Lots of people up here hunt moose with the 7 mag. And if your shot is good and your bullet tough enough a brown bear is killed just as well with a 7 as a 30 . But IMO dangerous game is not the place for long range shooting. . . I like muzzle brakes and a 7 mag would be fine for your wife to shoot with a brake on it.

Agreed I would not hesitate to shoot a moose with my 7mm Rem Mag or a grizz if I had to. And you're right I don't think many people think long range and dangerous bear hunting are a great idea. If I regularly hunted in Alaska where you have the chance of running in to one of those big bruins I might want something a little stouter than a 7mm. For most of us in the lower 48 though the Big 7 is absolutely perfect.

Thanks for everyones comments. I will only hunt elk deer anatolpe and black bear. I would like to shoot about 600 to 700 at live animals if needed..

Thanks for everyones comments. I will only hunt elk deer anatolpe and black bear. I would like to shoot about 600 to 700 at live animals if needed..
+1 on the 7 mag.

If factory ammo needed, the IMO the best option.

If you want to wildcat then 7/300WM but it is work it. Shameless plug for 7mm-284/26 Nosler.

If you load then you can make any load for the more lightly built shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.