What to buy, What to buy, What to buy….. ?

GetReel

So…. I find myself in a unique situation. I have saved up about $1,500 in Cabelas bucks and have another $150 in Cabelas gift cards. (So whatever I buy must come from Cabelas).

Do I….

A. Get a new pair of Binoculars? (Thinking of saving up the difference for a pair of Swaro EL 12x50's)
- My current pair of binocs are Vortex Viper HD 10x50
- I'm thinking of the 12x50's for better use on a tripod and I don't think here is any situation where I wish i had less magnification.

B. Get a new Rangefinder? (Not sure here on what I should look at).
- My current rangefinder Leupold RX1200 or 1300's. (Tough to use in low light and doesn't range game much past 6-700 yrds unless close to a large object.

C. Get a top tier riflescope for my custom 6.5x284
- Currently sporting a Ziess V4 4-16x44

I am not limiting myself to only spend what i have in Cabelas bucks and gift cards. I will save up the remaining if the item is more.

If your going to use them on a Tripod than 12 x 50 are nice but they are almost impossible to hold steady other wise, at least from what I have personally seen. I have both the Leica and Swaro rangefinding binoculars and love them both. Great item to have in the hunting woods. A top tier scope is hard to beat especially if you are using a custom rifle that can reach out there. Your Zeiss is decent scope but there is so much better out there and this glass is what will give you the real advantage when you are trying to make that all important first shot. My vote would be for a better scope. Look at NF and don't look back. JMO

Last edited:
If your going to use them on a Tripod than 12 x 50 are nice but they are almost impossible to hold steady other wise, at least from what I have personally seen. I have both the Leica and Swaro rangefinding binoculars and love them both. Great item to have in the hunting woods. A top tier scope is hard to beat especially if you are using a custom rifle that can reach out there. Your Zeiss is decent scope but there is so much better out there and this glass is what will give you the real advantage when you are trying to make that all important first shot. My vote would be for a better scope. Look at NF and don't look back. JMO
If I go the scope route. I have been looking at a NF, being my rifle is built on a long action, the NX8 has such a short tube, I'm not sure how well it will fit… idk. Second, I want a SFP for this rifle and Cabelas only offers the NX8 SFP in a Mil version (im only comfortable in MOA). So, I could go with a NF ATACR Enhanced 5-25x56 for $2,700 or a Swaro X5i in either 3.5-18x50 or 5-25x56 for $3k.