How Do I Know What To Buy? By Jeremy Knepp

Depending on the budget, I like the Burris Signature Z Rings, or the Burris XTR. There are much more expensive rings out there, but these are the rings I have used and like.

Blessings,

Jeromy

I know you like Savage and I do too ,but I;ve been wondering if I should wait until their Long Range Hunter 6.5-284 comes out. Would it be better to get the 26" instead of the 28?
Its listed as 6.5 Norma. What is Norma??
Thanks Jeremy always appreciate your help!

A few years ago Norma of Sweden picked-up on the increasing popularity of the 6.5mm-284, got the cartridge standardized by the European CIP, loaded it with Nosler bullets and introduced it in their ammunition line. Now that it has been standardized, the former wildcat's proper name is "6.5mm-284 Norma.

Jeromy....just reread your article for the third time. Wow, so well written and in layman's terms that us newbie's can understand. Thanks so much. Also, after sending you a few pm's and having you respond almost immediately, I have taken the plunge and purchased the Savage Model 12 F/TR in 308 cal. that I told you about. I also gave Phil Miller my 300RUM to have the trigger worked on and glass bed the stock. Leupold is going to install 2 target turrets for me on the Leupold VariX-3. I just couldn't bring myself to part with it so that's the reason for the upgrades. This way I'll have 2 LRers to brake in!!! Just like in the old gum commercial, "Double your pleasure, double your fun." gun)

Great upgrades on existing and choice on new. 308 and 300rum:) your just about setup for everything.

Sounds like some good decisions made. I'm glad that I could help you out. Hopefully we can get together when it warms up a little.

As far as the writing, just want to thank everybody for the compliments. I felt it was too long, but there is just so much info that it is difficult to use so few words to describe everything without leaving something of importance out. I did notice to mention about aftermarket stocks, but.... oh well. Next time.

Jeromy

Liltank, I don't mind long...usually it's more clear and better to understand...and if your learning like me that's a good thing.:)

Excellent article! I found the emphasis on a good scope and base (and rings) excellent advice! :D

Well written, informative article. It addresses all the questions challenging me. One issue is rifle weight. I take it from the inference to the F/TR that this is the model you selected for your build. It appers so from the photos. My only concern there is heft for any real "field" use. Great for accuracy when it counts, but a negative trade off for carrying any distance. I have considered re-barreling / re-stocking a new F/TR but that defeats the purchase "package" with it's inherent accuracy and cost benefit. Any suggestions on relative lightness + accuracy in a Savage for LR?

Well written, informative article. It addresses all the questions challenging me. One issue is rifle weight. I take it from the inference to the F/TR that this is the model you selected for your build. It appers so from the photos. My only concern there is heft for any real "field" use. Great for accuracy when it counts, but a negative trade off for carrying any distance. I have considered re-barreling / re-stocking a new F/TR but that defeats the purchase "package" with it's inherent accuracy and cost benefit. Any suggestions on relative lightness + accuracy in a Savage for LR?

It is actually a Mod 12 Low Profile. The dry weight is about 10 lbs. With scope puts it around 12lbs. It is kind of heavy and a dedicated field rifle. It will carry well with a comfortable sling. I have carried for a couple hours a few times and it isn't too bad. It will wear you down. I would have liked to have purchase the F/TR rifle, but just did not fit the budget. This rifle was never intended to be a carry rifle.

They have come out with the new 11/111 Long Range Hunter. It comes with the Accu-Trigger, Accu-Stock, fluted barrel, muzzle break and a weight of 8.65 pounds. It has a 26" barrel to help boost muzzle velocity and maintain the ability to shoot long range. These two models also give you twist rates that help with stabilizing the longer heavy bullets necessary for long range accuracy.

Savage Arms Firearms > 111 Long Range Hunter

Savage Arms Firearms > 11 Long Range Hunter

The Mod 16/116 Series and the 11/111 Series would be sufficient. I don't know what caliber you are looking for, but they offer a nice variety in a 22" barrel which will provide enough velocity and stabilization to get you to 800+ yards depending on the caliber. If you hand load that just improves everything. This series of rifle will put you in the 6.5# to 7# rifle.

There is noting wrong with rebarreling. You could go with a #4 or #5 contour in a 24 to 25 inch barrel. At this point you should for go the expense of a whole rifle and go straight to one of their available actions. This would allow for customizations and an aftermarket stock. They do make some pretty light weight stocks that will help negate the weight of the action and barrel.

I hope this answers your question.
Jeromy

Thank you for a thorough well researched and timely reply. I am a handloader of many years. I have considered the Savage Model 111 LR Hunter in 6.5-284 but in a perfect world it would posess a 28 inch barrel, and I fear the adjustable comb knobs will forever get in the way. I suppose the latter is fixable. My other option was the Model 11 LRH custom chambered in .260 Rem. but again with a longer tube. I am still pondering the virtues of availability / durability of brass and barrel wear. The .260 Rem. has lower shooting cost economics in its favor and little is lost in hunting performance until loading heavier bullets or reaching way out there.
I suppose all things considered the 111 LRH in 6.5-284 may get the nod. It appears to offer better hunting performance, better Norma brass though more costly, and will work as is from the factory with the affore mentioned comb modification. Thanks again and good shooting!

Jeremy, Thanks for a well written article that appeals to all income levels. It had parts that really hit home when it came to expense, ie where the other half is concerned. I READ IT ALL TWICE and was particularly intereted in the optics portion. iam building a rifle as we speak and have almost decided on a picatinny rail, or the always good dual dovetail leupold rings and bases. I like the pic. because it gives more options on ring spacing. Who do you recommend that has a relatively inexpensive but good base in pic. style? Some of them are pricey!Thanks for the article. P/S How due you like the 6x18 buckmasters? Have been considering one of those.gun):D

Jeremy, Thanks for a well written article that appeals to all income levels. It had parts that really hit home when it came to expense, ie where the other half is concerned. I READ IT ALL TWICE and was particularly intereted in the optics portion. iam building a rifle as we speak and have almost decided on a picatinny rail, or the always good dual dovetail leupold rings and bases. I like the pic. because it gives more options on ring spacing. Who do you recommend that has a relatively inexpensive but good base in pic. style? Some of them are pricey!Thanks for the article. P/S How due you like the 6x18 buckmasters? Have been considering one of those.gun):D

I like the EGW base. It is 39.99+ the government. I own two of them and they are bullet proof as far as I am concerned. The Buckmaster works flawlessly so far. Nikon has very good customer service and the optics are great. For the price, the scope is hard to beat. I own a 4.5-14x40 on my .308 Winnny custom, and the 6-18x40 is mounted on top of a Mod12 VLP w/DBM Savage in 300WSM. Very repeatable clicks and accuracy at range.

Tank

I know this is an old article/thread but it is really helpful to me! I'm trying to get into long range hunting but find myself fitting it into my practical possible ranges here in my neck of the woods. I would like to get set up and practiced up for shooting minute of deer out to 5 and 600 yards. I found a private range in Gallia county.

I know this is an old article/thread but it is really helpful to me! I'm trying to get into long range hunting but find myself fitting it into my practical possible ranges here in my neck of the woods. I would like to get set up and practiced up for shooting minute of deer out to 5 and 600 yards. I found a private range in Gallia county.
Glad you found it helpful. When I first started shooting LRH, I had many of the same questions. Over time I gained knowledge and felt it necessary to write this article. Been a while since I looked at it. So what is your set up?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.