How Do I Know What To Buy? By Jeremy Knepp

Currently, without buying anything strictly for long range hunting, I have mostly Browning BAR's. I love these rifles! They always get it done here. My favorite right now is a BAR chambered in 25-06. I used it last fall to make my two longest shots. We went to Wyoming for the first time and I killed two antelope. One at 250 and the other at 327. It was an awesome trip! I also have a BAR in 7mm and 300 win. I figured one of these will get me by till I can get something made for long range.

Currently, without buying anything strictly for long range hunting, I have mostly Browning BAR's. I love these rifles! They always get it done here. My favorite right now is a BAR chambered in 25-06. I used it last fall to make my two longest shots. We went to Wyoming for the first time and I killed two antelope. One at 250 and the other at 327. It was an awesome trip! I also have a BAR in 7mm and 300 win. I figured one of these will get me by till I can get something made for long range.

Sounds like a winner! Do you hand load? If so, you might be able to really zero those things in. You could start a new long range rifle trend!:D

Right now I only have my dillon press set up for 40sw. When my house is finished being built, hopefully in a week or two, ill be able to get it in there on good level, sturdy bench and start hand loading for my rifles. I'd love to get some awesome accurate loads for my 25-06.

I had one that I used in my dads 25-06. It was 52.8grns of IMR-4831, with a 120 Sierra Game King BTHP, and CCI 200 primer.

That should chrono out at about 2950 or so. Thats a pretty good "anything" load!!!

Im gonna try some 117 grain slugs in my 25-06AI....once I get her up and running....and see what she will do..???

That should chrono out at about 2950 or so. Thats a pretty good "anything" load!!!

Im gonna try some 117 grain slugs in my 25-06AI....once I get her up and running....and see what she will do..???
Sounds like a plan. At the time I shot that load, I wasn't doing any chronographing.

a nice well written article. ive been a savage supporter/owner for about 50
years. thanks to them leftys were offered bolt guns when others felt us unworthy. the accuracy level of the new savages is unbelievable to me.
only one comment id make regarding long range hunting.
we (hunt) with our eyes not our feet and our guns. good glasses on a steady rest like a tripod should get as much or even more attention as your gun choice.

a nice well written article. ive been a savage supporter/owner for about 50
years. thanks to them leftys were offered bolt guns when others felt us unworthy. the accuracy level of the new savages is unbelievable to me.
only one comment id make regarding long range hunting.
we (hunt) with our eyes not our feet and our guns. good glasses on a steady rest like a tripod should get as much or even more attention as your gun choice.
I agree. It's been a while since I have written this article. At the time I was just focused on the rifle and optics for the rifle. But, I do absolutely agree with you.

I like Savage too and have had good accuracy! The only thing that ever bothered me was that they didn't shoulder as comfortable as browning.

As the snow fly's outside I read the post and will read it again. Great read!!!! I like what Savage has done with there rifles and also your mention of the 270 being underrated. With bullets from Berger and Matrix the door has been opened up for all calibers to improve your ballistics down range.

As the snow fly's outside I read the post and will read it again. Great read!!!! I like what Savage has done with there rifles and also your mention of the 270 being underrated. With bullets from Berger and Matrix the door has been opened up for all calibers to improve your ballistics down range.
I completely agree. Glad you liked the read. It's been a long time since I have written it. Thanks for your interest.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.