300 wsm TI ACTION

I just finished my similar build and went with steel. Nanook in SA including integrated pic rail is 24oz. I'm planning to get a SiCo Schythe Ti soon to go on it.

Kelbly Nanook
Manners PH w/ mini chassis
TriggerTech Diamond flat
Wyatt's extended box
Hawkins oberndorf M5
Preferred barrel 20" in .300wsm

Weight as pictured 6# 6.4oz
71777588132__D8D31B4E-68C0-42B7-8D4B-8DE9E30671D3.jpeg

Pierce Skele-Ti just under 16oz. I make these actions everyday and we take extreme care and effort to make them as true and consistent as we can. Send me a PM or call the shop if you want anymore information. Thanks!

P.S. we also make the "Shadow" a lightweight stainless action. It's a few oz heavier than Ti but less costly

Pierce Skele-Ti just under 16oz. I make these actions everyday and we take extreme care and effort to make them as true and consistent as we can. Send me a PM or call the shop if you want anymore information. Thanks!

P.S. we also make the "Shadow" a lightweight stainless action. It's a few oz heavier than Ti but less costly
Buy this and save a few hundred bucks and take your "morning constitutional" before hunting and the load on your feet is the same or less!

Buy this and save a few hundred bucks and take your "morning constitutional" before hunting and the load on your feet is the same or less!
Yes, but a few ounces here, a few there and you end up with a 6lb gun that costs thousands and you can buy factory rifles at or less weight than that.

Fair point. But most the carbon barrels are going to precluded max weight savings. Much more weight is lost with barrel and stock selection than action weight.

This is true. That's why I have to chuckle every time I see a carbon barrel on a "lightweight" build.
I think you are looking at it wrong. We know carbon barrels and certain stocks weigh more but we also know carbon barrels have benefits over pencil thin lightweight steel. So many like me decide to drop the weight where it won't matter like action. Then add those few ounces back in places it counts. I even did Ti action screws and all kinds of other spots like but pad. That way I could get a stiff carbon barrel stock of my choice.
Do I have lighter yep. Are they nearly as nice nope. Factory or not.

I think you are looking at it wrong. We know carbon barrels and certain stocks weigh more but we also know carbon barrels have benefits over pencil thin lightweight steel. So many like me decide to drop the weight where it won't matter like action. Then add those few ounces back in places it counts. I even did Ti action screws and all kinds of other spots like but pad. That way I could get a stiff carbon barrel stock of my choice.
Do I have lighter yep. Are they nearly as nice nope. Factory or not.
On a hunting rifle, a carbon barrel has no benefit whatsoever. You shouldn't be firing strings of shots. On a range rifle, lightweight is a bad thing, not that carbon is lightweight really, but if the barrel is 5lbs instead of 4 or 3, it doesn't really matter, or if anything you're increasing recoil while increasing cost over a heavy steel barrel.

I love this discussion gents as one day I will be forced to sell everything and move into a condo and limit myself to (what I tell myself) will be 5-7 guns in total. So when that day comes... do I invest in a custom built ultra lightweight gun or do I just keep a couple that I have?

So a couple of points to consider... how many shots are you taking in the field? I have a pencil thin barrel on a 300 RUM that you can cover the distance between the first 2 shots with the finger nail on your pinky. The 3rd shot goes 6" high. BUT... after 2 shots it's either dead or doing mach chicken to another country!!! I couldn't care less in the world about that third shot.

Now one thing you guys haven't mentioned is bullet diameter and barrel composition (purities or impurities). I have 2 Browning Mountain Titanium rifles. A 7 WSM and a 325 WSM. There is over 1/4 lb difference between the 2 just on barrel clambering which absolutely blows my mind.

Now the other day I took the 7 WSM out to break rocks with it and I was amazed at how the barrel refused to really heat up and I kept plinking away until almost a full box was gone (kept 3 shells for coyotes on way home) and with very little time in between, the barrel never got really hot. The 325 after 3 shots will keep your hands warm all night.

Secondly it's hard to argue the cost of building versus buying when you can get such nice toys out there lol. These are my main lightweights in the pic. The lightest is the Browning Ti 325 at 6.3 lbs, then my Wby ultralight in 280 AI at 6.7 lbs, then Savage lightweight in 6.5x284 at 6.77 lbs and then the Browning Ti in 7 WSM at 6.8 lbs. But I'm learning as I get older and shot things that I have to drag out more and more by myself... lighter is worth ever penny lol.

Attachments

• 20230121_114451.jpg
    20230121_114451.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 22