700 ti action

linksmechanic

Have any of you guys on here built anything off of this action? I found one for a good deal and thought about building something off of it like an edge or 7 wildcat. I'm just not that familiar with it.

Titanium is stronger pound for pound , if you have a 1" bar made from, grade 5 titanium (the strongest) and one made from 4140 CM the 4140 will be stronger but alot heavier.

So if your looking to shave a few ounces their good to go but for the cost I woulden't worry with them , their not any stronger than a compairable CM action.

titanium is not as strong as steel when it's the same size. it's much stronger per pound. another way of saying what's already been said.

Ti is tougher than steel, it will not harden into the ranges steel conterparts can. There are two qualities to rifle actions, 1. Hard and 2. Tough. You need a combination of the two, this is why 4140-4340 is common in the chrom moly actions, it can be hardened to withstand the pressures but also made tough enough as not to have the abutments beaten. It needs to be resilent, able to flex or spring back. Titanium has these same qualities, if you ever had to machine or drill and tap some you would understand, it will turn a drill bit red in a second if not carful.
Machining hardened 4140 is very simple, chips come of easy and smooth. Ti dont like to let go of its chips, when drilling the hole it will want to close in on its self, the same with tapping. Special tools are required with messing with Ti. Actions are more expensive, Ti ain't cheap and machining the parts is about 3 times longer. Of course a pound of Ti is way stronger than a pound of steel, Ti is 55% lighter than steel. If Ti wasnt strong as steel, they could not build factory rifles out of it safely.

gday i have a short action titanium in 7saum am currently going though a build with it.iv been happy with mine'dosnt get a spec of rust on the action even after a weeks hard hunting in the elements.where the ss barrel still needs a wipe of oil every couple of days.
check out greg dulys artical under contributers on his hunt in nzs fiordland hunting elk(theres a paragraph on his ti which he recamberd it shooting a shortend 338 lapua necked to 7mm giving him stw vilocities out of a short action.

With using dissimilar metals gauling is not an issue, steel or stainles steel bolts are used. Ti onTi however is not a good thing. I dont know what remington does on theirs but i Anodize mine to put on a hard surface coat.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.