300 WM Sendero SF 11 Questions

Wisner74

300 WM Sendero SF 11 Questions
I am buying a 300 WM Sendero this week and have a few questions. I am pretty smart when it comes to building things, doing it yourself.

Does anyone have the name of a gunsmith in the Reno/Carson area they would recommend?

I would lake to replace the standard magazine of the rifle with a removable 5 round clip. Any input on what type to buy/where to buy and cost? Can a guy do this himself or do I need a gunsmith for this?

I would like to replace the trigger with a Jewel as this seems to be the trigger always talked about on this site. Is this needed? Can a guy buy the trigger and replace it himself?

What is the thought about putting a muzzle break on this rifle? Is it needed? I imagine there are are a few different ways/styles to machine this. Is there a preference?

I sure appreciate the help with this.
progress.gif

Replacing a trigger is fairly staight forward. But if u are having any other work done by a Smith he probably wont charge much to do it. Jewells are great, I have fired rifles equipped with them, I use rifle basix and love them.
For a brake, I would recommend one definatly, it will help you spot hits and mAke range days easier on the shoulder. I use Holland qd brakes on my 7mm rem may and. 300 rum, the are outstanding.

i would not mess with the mag. i am ok with factory staggered mag or even single loading . mine has a shilen trigger(90$) they are HARD to install. my son-inlaw has a timney(100$?) he said they are easy to install and he likes it as well as the jewell or a shilen. i have a jewell on another and it is nice too, i had it installed but they say they are easy too. a VAIS brake is a Must have for me . my son in law and son shooting two different 300wm sf senderos- at a 1000 yard match (for score); they shot 15 shot groups you could cover with a sheet of notebook paper. enjoy.

The stock trigger on my SF II broke, so a well known gunsmith on another forum offered to repair it + do a trigger job. It's an absolute joy to shoot now, and I found that many people prefer the stock trigger after a trigger job to some of the aftermarket triggers. I did quite a bit of searching before I decided to have it repaired and worked on, and I'm glad I did.

I used to prefer removable clips too, but after using rifles with drop plates (or internal magazines) the last few years I don't think it really makes any difference at all any more.

Brakes are a presonal preference, depending how much you plan on shooting it, and where. I have not added one as my SF II is a 7mm Rem mag.

If you're dead set on the removable clip, HS Precision makes a replacement trigger guard/mag that should be close to a direct fit since the sendero sports an hs stock. Badger also makes one, but the inlet area would likely need modified to accept it.

Regarding the trigger, the Jewells are outstanding. Worked over factory triggers, I believe, can vary from smith to smith. Replacing the stock trigger with a Jewell is pretty straightforward.

I would try shooting the rifle without the break before having one put on. I wasn't happy with the Vais on my 338 Rum Sendero. I am trying a QD break next.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts