sendero SF 2

Gator26

ok so i am sold on the new sendero but i cant decide on the caliber, without considering the ammo that is easiest to find or the kick of the rifle , or anything besides the performance of the round what caliber would YOU use for long range hunting of just elk 7mm Rem. Mag 7mm Rem. Ultra Mag

.300 Win. Mag. 300 Rem. Ultra Mag

thanks for your help guys.

Hey Gator,**** I don't have one of the newer Sendero's. I did own the blued version/round barrel in 7RM and .300WM. Both were excellent LR rigs that shot precisely and accurately. I currently own a 700P in 7RM and a Savage 112BVSS in .300WM. I have never owned either of the RUM flavors.* With that said, if I were going for elk, I'd go with the .300 WinMag. Without a muzzle brake and stout loads, it's probably all the rifle I can comfortably and accurately shoot (no do likey much thump on this end). It's been killin' elk since 1963. JohnnyK.

I chose the 300win. My partner chose the 300ultra. Put a brake on iether!!! The exra 200fps from the ultra makes a 210 berger pretty ballistically potent! My 300win is more accurate. Most likely because I found a honey of a load. The Ultra also gets hot quick and starts spreading bullets.

I like them both. Out to 1k on elk, there is no significant difference. Today, I'd probably pick the 300 ultra for the extra performance. They are both hammers!

The 7 rem with a 168 berger duplicates the external ballistics of a 300 win with a 210 berger. For an unbraked rifle, this would be my caliber of choice. The 7 ultra is just too handicapped in a factory barrel.

Have fun picking.

Thanks for the help guys i guess i am going to go with the .300 ultra. Is there anything that you think should be done to the rifle right out of the box? any probs that are known that should be addressed soon after buying?

1. Have a brake installed.
my picks are 308 Nate's, Shawn Carlocks, Kirby allens, Darrell Hollands

2. Skim bed the action. The rifle comes with a great stock, bedding block, and pillars. Doesn't take much.

3. Tune the trigger. If you need instructions, they're here. Don't get caught up in the super light craze. The xmark is nice and crisp. It'll feel lighter than it is. 3lbs is a reasonable goal.

If you like, your smith can do step 2 an 3 while he has it. He may have other suggestions too.

These rifles have a reputation for being shooters. Mine shot everything under an inch. It shoots one load a real .5". It only does this with the one load, but it does it!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.