300 WinMag Retumbo or H1000

BrettS

Not sure but it seems more people are using H1000 rather than Retumbo, when the latter returns increased velocity. Any issues with Retumbo?
My rifle is a Sendero with 26" barrel.

Not sure but it seems more people are using H1000 rather than Retumbo, when the latter returns increased velocity. Any issues with Retumbo?
My rifle is a Sendero with 26" barrel.

No real issues. Just seems like the accuracy and consistency of H1000 in the 300 win is better than average in many 300WMs. For mine, H1000 shoots lights out. It just doesn't care for RETUMBO. Faster it is. More inconsistent too. That's just my rig, YMMV.

I do not have the experience some do with this caliber but the one I had like both powders the same. I just had to hit the accuracy node which was 2890 with a SAAMI reamer. The Retumbo took more powder to get there so I chose H1000. I have another 300 win being built now and will use H1000 with 215 Bergers.

I have used and tested both powders in my 300WM's. I have been able to achieve equivalent accuracy of .25-.5MOA out to 1000 yards with both powders. In my rifles, H1000 reaches the pressure limit sooner with Retumbo, with Retumbo producing higher velocities of 75-100FPS before observing pressure signs. ES with both powders, generally under 12FPS, is equivalent. My favorite 300WM, a Rem 700 Milspec 300WM, 24" barrel runs 2900FPS with Berger 210/215's using 79gr Retumbo, Fed 215M primers, Norma brass. I get 2820FPS with 76gr of H1000. Retumbo appears to be a slower burner then H1000. Either powder works very well but I've settled on Retumbo to take advantage of the higher velocity. This is also very convenient since Retumbo it is my go to powder and well proven for several years in my 6.5x284's.

Lots of buzz about RL 26 being faster too. But I guess I am stuck in the rut with H-1000. Over the years it has alway been my go to for the 300 win mag with heavy bullets. Plus I get over 3K from a 215 in a 28". I am happy with that.

Jeff

H1000 just seems to be the right burn rate for this case, it boils down to if one won't shoot a 215 Berger over 76-78 gr of H1000 pull the barrel, it's so consistent! A good part of that is also it's the go to so there is a long track record with it vs Retumbo and R26 both of which I really like.

Thanks for the replies, will load some H1000 and see how it shoots.
I haven't ruled out a possible issue with the scope so may try another one on it.

There's nothing wrong with Retumbo, H1000 isn't consistant in all rifles, saying that is simply silly.
I use RE25 cuz it gives the the best accuracy in my 3 barrels, Retumbo is a close second and H1000 was last in my rifle.

Cheers.
gun)

The only powder I tried in my 300 WM was H1000. It shoots so good With 215's there was no need to try any other powder.

The only powder I tried in my 300 WM was H1000. It shoots so good With 215's there was no need to try any other powder.

Yup, and I haven't seen a 300 win with a 210 or 215 Berger that was not accurate and consistent with H-1000. Over many years this includes literally dozens of 300 win mags. 4 in the last month. I call that consistent in my book.

Jeff

Brett, another yes for H1000. Loaded this for my in law, with the 215 Bergers it is deadly accurate in his new Sendero 300 WM. The 210's shot well, but wow those 215's.

This has been an interesting thread. I recently worked up a load for a friends new custom 300 Win Mag. He insisted on using 200 gr ELD-X bullets and the 8 lb. jug of IMR-7977 he had acquired. I was a little concerned about the narrow range of options, but was curious about what would happen.

My concerns were unfounded. This combinations worked very well, and I was shooting nice 1/2" 3 shot triangles in no time. This powder is also supposed to resist copper fouling. I was shooting a Schneider P5 barrel, and had hardly any fouling issues during break-in. I have no way of knowing if the powder helped, but it didn't hurt anything!

This powder is also supposed to be temp insensitive, but I had no way to test that. It is also in the H-1000 and IMR 7828 burn range.

For kicks, I also shot some 210 Bergers and Retumbo. That load shot very well.

I hope this helps someone. YMMV,

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts