300 win mag vs 7mm rm

Nope, you are just expressing your own infirmity and generalizing it onto others. If lighter recoil made all more confident and shoot better then we'd all shoot "lesser" caliber/cartridges.
This ties into the whole "Magnum cartridges make people miss!" stuff I keep reading about. Ballistically superior performance is what should make a shooter more confident.
Maybe...i believe there is some truth to the statement that people shoot light recoiling rounds better than large magnums - I bet for 90% of shooters less recoil makes them better shots. That is why everybody brakes their rifles. There are a handful of guys who are not recoil sensitive. Most who are won't admit it, especially in an online forum lol

This is why the 6.5 is such a popular round.

Also, watching the flinch from someone shooting a braked rifle due to noise is almost as funny as watching someone flinch due to recoil. Dont forget your ear protection...Think about this - we are born with an aversion to loud noises, thats why new borns flinch or jump with loud noises. That doesnt go away, we are programmed not to like them.

We switch from .308 to .300 WinMag about every week. That lighter recoiling rifle doesn't seem to help anyone in our classes. Actually the opposite, their hit probability goes up drastically at all ranges with the .300 WinMag. You might try to argue "Well those are shooters" and I would just reply "They aren't when we get them!". We are in week 5 and they will still make rookie mistakes on a daily basis. As for flinching, there are ways to conquer that. They are more scared of us than the little shove that rifle will give.:D Just kidding...:rolleyes:
Recoil is mostly a mental game, but to me so is shooting.

I have the HMR 300 and love it, for $850 U.S. dollars and its shooting on hole groups at 100 yards with Hornady 212 ELD-X.I shot at one elk so far and One elk in the freezer!

Ah the timeless debate rages on... I believe both chamberings will be excellent on virtually anything in North America. I shoot 7RM as I've always been a fan. 300WM is fantastic. Just my preference to shoot the 7. In an apples to apples comparison, with heavy for caliber bullets, they're both going to fly at similar speeds with similar drop characteristics. The 300 will likely have slightly more recoil but also hit with more energy. If the recoil from the 300 creates a shooter error however, I promise the 7RM won't be any better. If the greater energy is a factor, I challenge you to go shoot a target at 700 yards with the 7 and see if you can see the difference. I've seen steel t posts cut in half from a 7RM at that distance. Both will get you there in my opinion. Instead I'd look more into bullet selection. Use a good quality hunting bullet designed for the task at hand. Find one for each gun and compare how they shoot. Accuracy wins this contest but only with the right pill.

Hi guys.
What caliber would you choose for long distance hunting?
-The 300 wm is with 26 "barrel and 1:10 twist. thinking of using 210-215gr bullets
-7mm rm, 26 barrel and 1: 8 twist. thinking 180gr bullets.

What speed can I expect from these calibers with these bullets?

regards
I have both in 300 wsm and 7mmrm and 7mmstw , I really like all three and have killed elk and moose with all , I use 180gr I 300,160 in the 7mmwm and 175 gr in the 7mmsrw ! All are close to 3000fps and less than 1 inch !

In my previous ramblings I never did try to answer your simple straightforward question. A lot of factors go into what makes the velocity but I'll take a guess at the 180's out of a 7RM at 2800-2900 and 2750-2850 out of the 300WM with 210-215's. I know there are guys getting better numbers out of both calibers so please don't blast me here. Just generalized figures. Given the twist rates with those heavier bullets I might be leaning toward the 7RM with an accuracy advantage but can't know till you try. You'll have to let us know what you come up with.

I vote 7mm Remington. 1:9 twist, even 1:9.25 or 1:9.5 is all the twist you need to stabilize effective elk bullets.

My group hunts with 7mmRMs, 300 WMs, and 338WMs for elk. None of them provide consistent bang-flops but all kill elk.

Hi guys.
What caliber would you choose for long distance hunting?
-The 300 wm is with 26 "barrel and 1:10 twist. thinking of using 210-215gr bullets
-7mm rm, 26 barrel and 1: 8 twist. thinking 180gr bullets.

What speed can I expect from these calibers with these bullets?

regards
It's really a toss up between the 2. The real key is to build the rifle so you can hand load long-heavy for caliber bullets to get the best long range performance. That's going to mean having about 3.7 inches in your magazine and having the chamber throated to put the bullet of your choice in the right place in the case when the ogive is in the lands. I would throat it so the bullet base is at or tiny bit ahead of the neck shoulder junction. This will allow I little more powder which translates into a little more velocity without hitting the pressure wall. A mag like the HS Precision DBM will give you plenty of room and provide reliable feeding.

If you choose and off the shelf rifle you will likely not have the right twist, throat, or long enough magazine. The factory 7rems are generally setup for 140-160gr bullets and the 300 WMs are setup for 165-200gr bullets. These bullets will not provide the best long range performance in these cartridges.

Ah the old Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate.
I have used both back when they were not as popular.
I use 300 win mag because I have several 30 cal rifles and can use all 30 cal bullets in each rifle but if I owned 2 safes full of just 7mm rifles I would shoot primarily just 7mm bullets.Both will kill anything that walks but both will cause cripples if the shooter don't do his or her part so it just comes down to which you prefer.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.