300 Win Mag Key Holes @ 100 yards

royinidaho

Have only seen once and it was today for 4 shots with factory and hand loaded 180s of unknown brand.

Rem 700 J-lock

Anyone, any experience?

Have only seen once and it was today for 4 shots with factory and hand loaded 180s of unknown brand.

Rem 700 J-lock

Anyone, any experience?

What twist is the barrel?
How many rounds down the tube?
How far is the throat eroded?
What condition is the crown in?

Need more info before a conclusion can be made on WHAT is causing it.

Cheers.
gun)

Did a bit of a bore inspection.

Short story is that it didn't pass inspection.

bbl being removed....

I've found that chasing the throat at this point in the barrel's life is pretty much a waste of time.

The fella has only shot a "few" shots through it but has no idea of what the previous owner did. :roll eyes: I think we now have a good idea.:)

IOW, more than one but less than 3000?

I sometimes wonder what the actual average tube life is on a 300 WM. I have one in the shop.... rude rifle.

IOW, more than one but less than 3000?

I sometimes wonder what the actual average tube life is on a 300 WM. I have one in the shop.... rude rifle.

My last 300 wm barrel was just past 1350 shots when I rebarreled. The reason why I rebarreled was because of throat erosion and firecracking and held huge amounts of copper. (Factory carbon steel Savage.) Once cleaned, which took a while, she still shot .5 moa 5 shots at 200.

I even use it still today for fire forming brass and getting great precision. So, I don't have a round count on FF loads but I bet it's upwards of 1700 +.

The guys hanging around the leather shop/gun trader/tinkeritus mess w/guns hang-out are debating whether its throat/bore erosion of maybe the shooter if flinching severely enough (which he does) as the projectile is exiting the muzzle and flipping it end for end. :roll eyes:

I supplied them with barrel vise and wrench, breaker bar and dead blow hammer which were promptly used to remove the barrel. Note...with only a couple of nice gouges from using leather bushings an cowboy rosin. A video of these guy's operations would be gut busting.

A new take off barrel has been located for only $78 shipped. Oh, and of particular note it's proudly announced to be stainless.

It'll be fun to see where this goes.....

Did a bit of a bore inspection.

Short story is that it didn't pass inspection.

bbl being removed....

I've found that chasing the throat at this point in the barrel's life is pretty much a waste of time.

The fella has only shot a "few" shots through it but has no idea of what the previous owner did. :roll eyes: I think we now have a good idea.:)

I have shot out a few 300WM barrels, 1200-1500 rounds is about where accuracy opens beyond target use. In my early days, as throats elongated, I would adjust seating depth to chase the lands, but found it was futile because there would be a point when it was not practical to do so.
An old time BR shooter gave me the tip that I would be better off increasing powder charges to keep the velocity the same, which kept the node intact, accuracy could be extended for many many shots before a seating depth change was required to match a different node as the throat elongates.
This works.

Cheers.
gun)

I have shot out a few 300WM barrels, 1200-1500 rounds is about where accuracy opens beyond target use. In my early days, as throats elongated, I would adjust seating depth to chase the lands, but found it was futile because there would be a point when it was not practical to do so.
An old time BR shooter gave me the tip that I would be better off increasing powder charges to keep the velocity the same, which kept the node intact, accuracy could be extended for many many shots before a seating depth change was required to match a different node as the throat elongates.
This works.

Cheers.
gun)

Good to know!

Thanks for posting

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts