300 Win Mag for LR Hunting?

Berger 210, 215, & 230 bullets will suit you well.

+1. Any of the Berger VLDs are awesome on game.

I have taken 15 animals with Berger VLDs to date. I have even used both the Target VLDs and the Hunting VLD's. Can't remember how many with each type out of the 15 kills.....But every time was a perfect terminal performance with either style. I personally won't use any other Brand of bullet for hunting if I can help it. Just my opinion from my own field experiences though.

Good choice on caliber as well. The 300 Win Mag has been an elk killing machine for decades. I personally have taken 5 bull elk with a 300 Win Mag. Farthest was only 425 yards, but it anchored them all with no issues whatsoever.

However, those 5 bulls were taken before Walt Berger graciously came into my life with his excellent bullet design :) On those bulls I used, the 180gr Nosler Partition, 180gr Nosler Accubond, and 180gr Swift Scirocco II. Of those three, I liked the terminal performance of the 180gr Partition the best. The Accubond worked well, but was a little explosive. The Swift worked almost TOO good. Shot 3 elk and one black bear with that bullet and not once did that bullet expand very well. Actually pin-holed both the lungs on my bear at 90 yards. 30 cal entrance hole, 30 cal hole through both lungs, 30 cal exit hole. Anyhow, just some insight on a few of my experiences using other hunting bullets in the 300 win mag. Good Luck!

+1. Any of the Berger VLDs are awesome on game.

I have taken 15 animals with Berger VLDs to date. I have even used both the Target VLDs and the Hunting VLD's. Can't remember how many with each type out of the 15 kills.....But every time was a perfect terminal performance with either style. I personally won't use any other Brand of bullet for hunting if I can help it. Just my opinion from my own field experiences though.

Good choice on caliber as well. The 300 Win Mag has been an elk killing machine for decades. I personally have taken 5 bull elk with a 300 Win Mag. Farthest was only 425 yards, but it anchored them all with no issues whatsoever.

However, those 5 bulls were taken before Walt Berger graciously came into my life with his excellent bullet design :) On those bulls I used, the 180gr Nosler Partition, 180gr Nosler Accubond, and 180gr Swift Scirocco II. Of those three, I liked the terminal performance of the 180gr Partition the best. The Accubond worked well, but was a little explosive. The Swift worked almost TOO good. Shot 3 elk and one black bear with that bullet and not once did that bullet expand very well. Actually pin-holed both the lungs on my bear at 90 yards. 30 cal entrance hole, 30 cal hole through both lungs, 30 cal exit hole. Anyhow, just some insight on a few of my experiences using other hunting bullets in the 300 win mag. Good Luck!
Same here...But with deer, not elk. Unfortentately we don't have those around here. But I have eaten elk, and it's awesome, so I hope to go on an elk hunt someday. I acutally bought my 7mm STW over 12 years ago because me and my old man were talking about going on an elk hunt, but we never did. Now his knees are too bad and I'm too busy. Maybe someday I'll get to go on that trip. Always wanted to shoot me a monster 6x6.

I've shot tons of different bullets over the years, and the top 3 best performing were (in order of worst to best) were Barnes Triple Shocks (HP model), Nosler Accubonds, and Berger VLD's. After this past season, Bergers have become my go-to hunting bullets. NAB's work good, but the Bergers expel so much energy they just don't run more than 20-30 yards. The last 2 deer I shot the first one ran 20 yards tops, and the second one flopped over dead as a doornail, and never took a step.

Same here...But with deer, not elk. Unfortentately we don't have those around here. But I have eaten elk, and it's awesome, so I hope to go on an elk hunt someday. I acutally bought my 7mm STW over 12 years ago because me and my old man were talking about going on an elk hunt, but we never did. Now his knees are too bad and I'm too busy. Maybe someday I'll get to go on that trip. Always wanted to shoot me a monster 6x6.

I've shot tons of different bullets over the years, and the top 3 best performing were (in order of worst to best) were Barnes Triple Shocks (HP model), Nosler Accubonds, and Berger VLD's. After this past season, Bergers have become my go-to hunting bullets. NAB's work good, but the Bergers expel so much energy they just don't run more than 20-30 yards. The last 2 deer I shot the first one ran 20 yards tops, and the second one flopped over dead as a doornail, and never took a step.

Though I have never used them, i have NEVER heard one bad thing about Barnes bullets, so I am not surprised to hear another good review on them. I just wish they would make something with a decent BC! And maybe drop the price on those dang things a bit :)

I still have not connected on a "large" bull. I'm too trigger happy when I see legal shooting antlers on elk because that's almost a full freezer with one animal! :) I have put bullets in 2 - 6x6 bulls, but they were rags. Maybe 270 B&C. In fact, NONE of the 5 bulls I have put bullets in have hit the 300 B&C mark and I have lived amongst elk my entire life. Shootin' a trophy class bull ain't that easy, especially when you have to hunt public land like me. Those public land monsters don't become monsters by being dumb. But they are out there because somebody shoots a few every year.

Funny thing is that the one year I saw a monster bull within range, an easy 350+ B&C, I didn't have a tag because my father and I had just shot 2 6x6 rags earlier in the season. It was as if he was just showing himself to make me drool and test my ethics. So I just cried as I watched him walk back into the tress....
I hunted that same area for the next 4-5 years. I believe I may have jumped him one time the following year, but couldn't get a good enough look, just heard a bull's antlers crashing through the trees. And that was it...He made a mockery of me for sure

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts