.308 win LR deer hunting

42.8 rl15
But I actually changed from hornady to lc brass.
I called 43 good with hornady cuz at 43.3 I had a few with light ejector marks.
Knowing that lc was lower volume case I started lower and worked up to 42.8 and stopped sense I was at similar velocities. I may very well beable to go higher yet with lc brass, not sure yet

If you're getting that much pressure signs with r15 and the 178 at such low charges, you might try more of a slower powder. R17, vv n540 and imr 4320. You could try VARGET though it is similar to r15 but if your lot of 15 is a tad fast, VARGET may be a bit slower. Some of the faster lots of H4350 have done well for me with the heavies. That is only if you even want to chase higher velocities. Nothing wrong with 2635 either.

Thank you Michael, I will definitely consider the powders you mentioned depending on which I can fnd when ready. 2635 is fine with me if it's more accurate then something faster.

I have been happy with the 200gr Sierra Gameking in my Sako TRG 22 in 308 Win. It is traveling at 2571 fps with MR2000 powder and Win brass out of a 20" barrel. I killed a nice 8 point whitetail last year in OK. This year I took a 5x5 CO elk at 400 yards and had excellent penetration and expansion. With an 1100 foot DA it has 1000ft/lbs out to 800 yards. At the 9000 foot DA I was elk hunting it has 1500ft/lbs out to 650 yards and 1000 ft/lbs out to 1020 yards.

See link below for more details and photo of the recovered bullet from the elk kill at 400 yards. Why not have a good load that works for deer and elk?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f86/another-first-elk-story-123134/

TKAB

2750 fps would be easy to achieve with n550 or power pro and a 168. That would make a long range hamma.

Im launching 175gr nosler cc at 2760fps outa 26" barrel. Just wondering if this bullet will be ok at long range where velocity is low or rather go for the berger 168gr and try around 2800fps?

I shot my Elk this year @ 354 yards with my 308. 46 grns rl15 165 hpbt game king. It was a high shoulder shot. At a steep 35 +- angle, the bullet traveled through spine and out. DRT of course, but after skinning the amount of blood shot was amazing whole rib section entry side was jelly, half of that front shoulder was toast and the entry was 8" above it. Even half of oppsite rib section was blood shot. It looked like I shot the thing point blank with a 300win mag multiple times. That being said i plan on keeping this load in my shell holder for a longer shot from now on, but using a 180 accubond chambered and in the mag,which is my typical load. After seeing the results I wouldn't hesitate using it on a Elk at 700-800 yards or 1000 on deer. I wish I would have taken pics, but the heat and flys had me running. My neighbors couldn't believe I shot it at that distance once with a 308 win.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.