Anyone use a 300. win mag for hunting?

Broz,
Whats the finished weight of your rig including scope? Also wondering what the contour the barrel is.

That's one impressive rifle you have. What you've been able to do with it is equally impressive. I've never been able to shoot at even a target past 300, so to see someone able to hit a coyote at over 1K is simply mind blowing. My hats off to you.

Broz,
Whats the finished weight of your rig including scope? Also wondering what the contour the barrel is.

That's one impressive rifle you have. What you've been able to do with it is equally impressive. I've never been able to shoot at even a target past 300, so to see someone able to hit a coyote at over 1K is simply mind blowing. My hats off to you.
This rifle started out with a #5 contour Kreiger. But after about 100 rounds fighting load development I was not happy with it. I then had the Kreiger removed and a Broughton installed. It has shot 1/2 moa to 1000 yards every since.

So the new barrel is a Broughton 5C 1 in 10 twist with 6 1/4" flutes. It is a Sendero contour.

The rifle with scope and bipod weighs 11.6 lbs.

All that game was in the last year. Plus a few more antelope, yotes and my wife took her first elk at 415 yards with it. It has been good to us.

Jeff

Last edited:
[QUOTE.]

This rifle started out with a #5 contour Kreiger. But after about 100 rounds fighting load development I was not happy with it. I then had the Kreiger removed and a Broughton installed. It has shot 1/2 moa to 1000 yards every since.

So the new barrel is a Broughton 5C 1 in 10 twist with 6 1/4" flutes. It is a Sendero contour.

The rifle with scope and bipod weighs 11.6 lbs.

All that game was in the last year. Plus a few more antelope, yotes and my wife took her first elk at 415 yards with it. It has been good to us.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

That's pretty good weight wise. How much did the stock weigh? I want a McMillan A3 and was going to get a #4 or #5 contour but a few people told me the sendaro contour was also a good choice.

[QUOTE.]
That's pretty good weight wise. How much did the stock weigh? I want a McMillan A3 and was going to get a #4 or #5 contour but a few people told me the sendaro contour was also a good choice.

Those McMillan Lazeroni thumbhole stocks are awesome. Stock was under 2 lbs. I wanted to keep it lite but also wanted enough weight to hold to 1/2 moa accuracy 1000 yards off a bipod. I feel if you get them to lite at some point accuracy will suffer and I feel that is prbably around 10lbs. Also if the barrel is to thin harmonics will come into play. The Sendero contour that Broughton sells is close to a #5 contour that some other manufacturers sell and has a .830 dia. at the muzzle. It is a great choice and have seen it shoot awesome even from the bigger .338's. I would suggest you look at Broughton or Hart for barrels. Might just be coincidence but the most accurate rifles I have shot and owned in 7mm and 300 were 5 and 6 land barrels from Hart and Broughton. So I tend to stay away from the 4 land tubes now. If you want to get a feel for a rifle weight of this nature stop by a gun shop or Cabels'a and look at a Sendero or a Weatherby Accumark. Thet are very similar and I think you will agree they are light enough to carry , but heavy enough to yield good accuracy.

Jeff gun)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Wanted to add. I went through the same thing when I was building this rifle. The huge debate between 7mm and 300. I like them both and have become very fond of the 7mm / 300 wins. I have built. In fact, I have a new Hart 7mm barrel on hand in case I get bored. But I hunt elk, and wanted this rifle to be good for up to elk size game to 1000 yards, and with Berger 210's it is. The 7mm 180's will probably do just as well but I like larger bullets for the energy they carry with them. Plus the deciding factor for me was a quote from one of the most popular barrel makers in the us. In asking him his advice about which was more accurate at 1000 yds, a 7mm or 300, he said. "Well,,,,,,, I haven't seen the 7mm take over the 1000 yard matches yet and the 300 has been setting records for years."

Food for thought.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.