Mesa LR 300 win

westcoasthunter

I'm looking at getting a mesa LR in 300win the only bullet I'm really wanting try is the 215 berger if it shoots. What's your thoughts on the combo working will together at 500 ft above sea level with the 1-10 twist. Other wise I will probably build a 300win or 30 nosler with a 1-9 twist And any idea what kinda velocity i would be looking at? This would be a rifle i use at 100-1000yards from elk down to varmints.

The 10 twist works great with 215s for me anywhere up from sea level and temps ranging up from -15°F. Thousands of 215s get fired from 10 twists. Having extra elevation helps with stabilization, but it's not necessary to achieve excellent performance.

Check out Bergers stability calculator. You can input your bullet, elevation, temperature and velocity. You will see a 10 twist is marginal stability which will work fine but you will have a loss of BC efficiency. By adjusting twist you can obtain better stability which ultimately gives you better BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.