Browning Hells canyon LR Vs. Christensen arms Mesa Vs. other?

Bigeclipse

I am trying to buy a new rifle which will give the best shot at being at least a 1MOA shooter. I do have some criteria. I am trying to get a 6.5PRC or similar performing cartridge with at least a few factory ammo options at a typical gun store. I am trying to keep the rifle lighter weight. I am trying to keep it in a normal sporter type stock as I will not be hunting off a bi-pod/prone. I am trying to get it with a factory muzzle brake and cap. The browning appears to come with a flimsy stock but I have no real world experience. Maybe the reviews on this were wrong as I see other people say the stock is fine. The Christensen arms Mesa has very hit or miss reviews which is kind of scary. I personally like the Christensen better on paper. What else should I consider? These rifles are already towards the top of my budget but if it was worth it to throw another 200$ at them for something else I might consider it. Thoughts? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you. Have you looked at the xbolt pro long range? Wrapped in carbon fiber stock & what I have read on it, should be pretty rigid, also a light weight scenario. That's the route I'm leaning on going.....fingers crossed

I was in the same situation. Back and forth between your listed choices, a Bergara Premier HMR Pro, and other similarly priced used rifles in the LRH classifieds. I think I may have been happy with the Browning, but the likelihood of trigger replacement and no accuracy guarantee were turn offs. The Christensen would have worked too except for the bad reviews on numerous forums. I chose the Bergara. Triggertech trigger is wonderful. Gun is a little heavy which does not concern me. The extended magazine is a huge turn off. I can live with it for now. Will likely order a shorter one in the future. Shot it last night for the first time. It lived by the sub MOA claim.

I am not sure you will find factory 6.5 PRC in the "typical gun store". Out of a Scheels, two Bass Pro, and one Cabelas within 200 miles of me, only one had a few boxes of Hornady brand in stock. Mom and pops stores will not have it.

I considered a Mesa and was very close to buying one. My local gun dealer was positive about them and I was comparing against a Kimber Mountain ascent, the later of which did not seem to have as good build quality. At any rate, I ended up spending more and got a Weatherby Altitude and I'm quite happy with it.

In your price range, I'd give the Browning a serious look. They seem to have some of the best production barrels and my experience with any "A" or "X"- bolt has always been positive. Should be an MOA or better shooter with factory ammo and reloading for mine (.243) has me comfortably at .5 MOA.

I was in the same situation. Back and forth between your listed choices, a Bergara Premier HMR Pro, and other similarly priced used rifles in the LRH classifieds. I think I may have been happy with the Browning, but the likelihood of trigger replacement and no accuracy guarantee were turn offs. The Christensen would have worked too except for the bad reviews on numerous forums. I chose the Bergara. Triggertech trigger is wonderful. Gun is a little heavy which does not concern me. The extended magazine is a huge turn off. I can live with it for now. Will likely order a shorter one in the future. Shot it last night for the first time. It lived by the sub MOA claim.

I am not sure you will find factory 6.5 PRC in the "typical gun store". Out of a Scheels, two Bass Pro, and one Cabelas within 200 miles of me, only one had a few boxes of Hornady brand in stock. Mom and pops stores will not have it.
The Bergara premier series are definitely nice but are like 500-600$ more which would be a challenge.

I recently picked up a Browning HC LR, in 6.5 PRC. Plan was to stick to factory ammo, first group during one shot clean break in was 1/2" with the match 147 eldm. Seems to me like this will be a great rifle. I just ordered some 156 bergers and ADG brass, guess I couldnt just stick to factory ammo although I do know that it shoots great with it. I really like that the LR version has a 7 twist barrel.

The Bergara premier series are definitely nice but are like 500-600$ more which would be a challenge.

Understand. I really love the way the Browning HC LR feels in my hands. Have not held the McMillan version. Was real close to buying a Browning HC LR. However, I figured I would be putting money into a new trigger as I really like crisp triggers and detest the opposite. So, the additional initial cost of the Bergara was less of a factor to me. Their sub MOA guarantee helped make my decision which is why I was also considering the Christensen Mesa LR.

Ruby stated good luck with theirs. If I knew I would be the same, I would have bought a Browning for a $1,000 and shot it for awhile to see if I could learn to love the trigger. Would have saved me $600. Too bad I couldn't buy one of each then return the ones I don't like. Ha Ha. Doesn't work that way.

Left the range last night thinking one day I will have a rifle built to my preferences no matter the cost.

My last bit of advice....if you haven't done so, put your hands on as many as you can. Doesn't really matter the caliber. Hopefully the dealer will let you dry fire each. This was another selling point of the Bergara to me. Their trigger is much nicer than all others I tried including upper end Kimbers and Christensens. Also, I do not like the bulk of the Seekins Bravo stock.

p.s. I picked up a slightly used Sitka in 6.5 CM. It is shooting sub MOA for $460. The 6.5 PRC is a better cartridge though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts