300. win mag vs 300. RUM hunting

I dont plan on ever going past 800 yards. Where i live my range is only 600 yards, and within an hour an any direction the furthest i can get out to is 831 yards to be exact. Last year i ranged every one of my honey holes and i couldn't get further then 760 yards with most being between 450-700 yards. So 800 yards will be my furthest.

If i ever found a range i wouldn't hesitate to take a shot further then 800 yards on a target and target only!!

Again. if you are going to shoot white tails at 800 and under, you will be fine. But you mentioned
Elk and they need more energy. The recomended (Not required) is 2000 ft/lbs energy and 1500
ft/lbs energy Min for Elk size game.

Using these values is a good guide line and will keep you out of trouble if you make a good shot.
and the ranges that these energy's fall in with are as follows=

180 gr 300 Win Mag-400 yards=2000 ft/lbs ,625 yards=1500 ft/lbs so armed with this information
I would limit the 300 Win Mag to 600 yards for Elk and 800 for deer.

I understand your problem, You are right at the limit of the Win Mags ability and if you stay with
your max distances for energy you will be fine.

But If you get an invite to go elk hunting somewhere else wouldn't it be nice to feel comfortable
that you have more than enough rifle to do the job at 800 yards (300 RUM is 1520 ft/lbs @ 775
yards).

There is no cost difference to build a 300 Win Mag and a 300 RUM and with a muzzle break
there is no issue with recoil with ether.

So it is just a what ever you want for your custom rifle to be. Build what you want, and
understand it's limits and you wont have any regrets.

The reason I recomend the 300 RUM is distance and energy (The same reason that most L R
hunters are going to the 338s for 1000+ yard shots on large game).

Just another opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Again. if you are going to shoot white tails at 800 and under, you will be fine. But you mentioned
Elk and they need more energy. The recomended (Not required) is 2000 ft/lbs energy and 1500
ft/lbs energy Min for Elk size game.

J E CUSTOM

The thing is, it sounds like your talking about factory bullets,
Cause my hand loads look to be 210 vld at around 2900 fps which gives
Me close to 1580 lbs of energy at 800 yards
And I have seen people's velocitys higher and lower by about 75 fps which still gives me 1500-1600 lbs of energy at 800

i went back to the 300 WM after the 3rd. bbl on 300RUM. I had 832 rounds thru the last 300 rum bbl, and decided that that wasnt enough "life" (little over 2 yrs. shooting) so re-bbl to 300 WM. Happy so far. not giving up enough speed to worry about.

Inside of 800 yards the 300 win mag is a better fit. Lighter rifle with no muzzle brake. Those are big plusses for the winny. It will kill all your animals to that range. This year I shot a Tikka T-3 300 winchester with 180 grain C-21 cutting edge bullets .6 BC at 3300 fps and took game to 922 yards with it. 6 3/8 pound rifle, no muzzle brake, no problem. If you go way out there beyond 800 get a heavier rifle in the 300 RUM with a brake.

It depends on what you are trying to do with the rifle.

The 300 Win Mag 180 factory loads are about the biggest loads you can get from Winchester.
The supreme 180 ammo is 2950 ft/sec velocity with 3478 ft/lbs of energy.

The same 180 gr bullet in the 300 RUM starts out at 3250 ft/sec and has 4221 ft/lbs of energy.

The "factory" 200 gr load velocity is 3032 ft/sec with 4083 ft/lbs of energy.

At 100 to 300 yards it does not make much difference which one you use. But at 800+
yards the 300 RUM will out perform the Win Mag especially with 200+grain bullets.

You can always down load for softer /smaller targets but loading up is difficult for the
larger bullets in a Win Mag compared to a RUM.

The 300 Win Mag is tried and true with 150 to 180 grain bullets but if I were planning on
using 200+ grain bullets my choice would be the 300 or 338 RUM.

J E CUSTOM
+1 on the 338 RUM, esp. for the moose. If you are set on 30 cal then go with the RUM. I have owned all three of these guns and the 338 RUM is my favorite followed by the 300 RUM.

i went back to the 300 WM after the 3rd. bbl on 300RUM. I had 832 rounds thru the last 300 rum bbl, and decided that that wasnt enough "life" (little over 2 yrs. shooting) so re-bbl to 300 WM. Happy so far. not giving up enough speed to worry about.

Bingo!! I too did the big 30 cal thing with the 30-378's. I now have very accurate 300 wins and use 210 and 230 Bergers. I don't miss the small loss in velocity, but I wish I had all that wasted powder back.

Jeff

300 win mag and never look back. They have been winning matches for years. You can get great brass for them and they will do what you posted with ease. Barrel life will be way longer than a RUM too. We shoot a lot of 210 bergers with the 300 Win. And today we took two elk with the new Berger 230's. One at 400 the other a bull at 511 yards. Both DRT.

Here is the biggest bull this year and it was at 643 yards with my 300 win and a 210 Berger.

Jeff

PART_1319506322849Small-1.jpg

That critter has one hellofa rack! Man oh man!!!

BTW...Id go with the 300 Win Mag myself if I needed anything that large

Elk and they need more energy. The recomended (Not required) is 2000 ft/lbs energy and 1500 ft/lbs energy Min for Elk size game.

J E CUSTOM

How those numbers were arrived at , I have no idea? But personally I limit the effective range of a cartridge to be energy equiv to that of a .44Magnum at point blank range. I "think" a 44Mag had the capability to kill a full grown elk standing right next to the elk?? ( someone hold it for me...:D)

With that being a baseline then ANY cartridge at "X" distance with at LEAST as much energy can be a "killer". Hence even the "lowly" 7mm Remington Mag at 1000 yards equals that amount...and at 800 greatly exceeds it.

While I personally WOULDNT try a shot at 800 or 1000 yards..even at a pachyderm for fear of missing the vital points...I wouldnt say that a rifle for long range elk had to have any specific requirements.

If I were an elk hunter tried and true...I'd use a 338 anyway

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.