300 win berger suggestions

porkchop401

I am gathering parts for a 300 win mag heavy rifle build . It will sport a 26" douglas #7 with a D.E . brake . I am wondering of the Berger hunting line which bullet would most likely be the easiest to get acceptable 1200 yd accuracy( .5-.7 @100yds.) with the least amount of trial and error. It is not that hate working on load development it is more of a lack of time and the desire to use the barrel life for long range work and not so much 100yd paper punching. Oh yes , I will install a wyatts Extended BOX if necessary.

215 hybrid seems like the ticket with the 300 win mag. I havent tried them yet but others on here are having great success. Check out broz thread comparing the 215 vs 210 vld. When it comes to the win mag he's the guru you want to talk to. I don't know how to post the link to the thread but I'm sure someone will here soon.

I have been shooting the 215 berger hybrid in my 300 win and have had great accuracy with them at 2946 fps. I recently tried some 230 hybrids and found them easy to get to shoot under .5 moa at 2875 fps. I use h1000 with the 215 and retumbo with the 230.
Jon

The 215 Berger Hybrid Target is the best thing since sliced bread for the 300 win. Yes they say Target on the box, but my 300 win has 31 cold bore kills on big game with them. My load work up was 9 shots.

Terminal performance data here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Jeff
Ok fellas I just finished reading 53 pages of post in the 210vld /215 hybrid thread, I am convinced the 215 is where to start. My question is how does your chamber differ from the average sammi spec. 300 wm chamber, I use a local rifle smith who does my chambering and is open to my suggestions in tricking out my build. you mention your load but I did not see the COL and was wandering whether a extended Box was required. Also you mentioned most rifles would not handle the pressure your rifle would and this has me curious as to your free bore specs and possably a reamer # OH yea my build is on a m700lh. Thanks

The basic difference in chamber is the throat length. But the new Rem 700 Long Range has a very similar throat. Velocities very close to mine are very doable. I have had a couple 300 wins with 215's lately go 2975 and 2980 with the 215's and H-1000 from 26" barrels. That is a hard combo to beat.

I will say yes to the Wyatts box. If doing a build you may as well have it as an option. I like to leave about .020 to .030" of bearing surface below the neck shoulder junction of the case when the bullet is on the lands. That leaves you with all the case volume needed to do what you want to do.

Jeff

Ok fellas I just finished reading 53 pages of post in the 210vld /215 hybrid thread, I am convinced the 215 is where to start. My question is how does your chamber differ from the average sammi spec. 300 wm chamber, I use a local rifle smith who does my chambering and is open to my suggestions in tricking out my build. you mention your load but I did not see the COL and was wandering whether a extended Box was required. Also you mentioned most rifles would not handle the pressure your rifle would and this has me curious as to your free bore specs and possably a reamer # OH yea my build is on a m700lh. Thanks

The basic difference in chamber is the throat length. But the new Rem 700 Long Range has a very similar throat. Velocities very close to mine are very doable. I have had a couple 300 wins with 215's lately go 2975 and 2980 with the 215's and H-1000 from 26" barrels. That is a hard combo to beat.

I will say yes to the Wyatts box. If doing a build you may as well have it as an option. I like to leave about .020 to .030" of bearing surface below the neck shoulder junction of the case when the bullet is on the lands. That leaves you with all the case volume needed to do what you want to do.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I have located a tactical match reamer that I believe will work for me. I will be waiting til I return from Colorado in late October to begin the project since the action is in use on a lighter 300.
It is a pleasure to converse with you on these subjects, your lack of greed in sharing this information speaks of your character. Sincerely Michael E. Bell

The 215 Berger Hybrid Target is the best thing since sliced bread for the 300 win. Yes they say Target on the box, but my 300 win has 31 cold bore kills on big game with them. My load work up was 9 shots.

Terminal performance data here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Jeff

Jeff, I have one of the new Rem. 700 LR rifles that I have yet to fire. Can you elaborate on your load work up with 9 rounds? I have H-1000 powder on order but no 215 Bergers yet. I want to use the barrel as little as possible for load work.
Thanks, SARGESNIPER

I agree with Broz. I spoke with him before my build and got a PTG reamer with his specs. This is the most forgiving rifle I have ever shot. My load development was 14 shots. This was only because I started so low on my powder charge 73 gr). Fired 2 shots each from 73 gr to 79 gr. Every powder charge shot a ragged hole at 100 yds. When I reached 79 gr I still showed no pressure signs and velocity was right at 3000 fps out of a 26" BRUX. That's where I stopped and it shoots better than I can. My gun likes the 215's 30 thou off. First COAL I tried and never looked back. The 215 is so forgiving.

Looks like I need to try the 215's my own self. I'm still working on my 210 load now with retumbo. I don't want to hijack this thread but my last time I tried with my load I got 1.2 inch group outside to outside all vertical. Hoping maybe one of you guys can help.

That's a very impressive load work up broz on the rem 700 lr. That's actually what I have right now on working on the 210. The thing I don't get with my gun is I work up a load with the 185 and bolt wouldn't shut tell 3.560. So I started long with the 210 and again bolt wouldn't shut tell 3.560. With the 185s I settle on 3.520 coal and shoots great. Best depth I've found with the 210 was at 3.480 coal. Just looking for a lil advice.

Don't want to answer for Broz but I believe that was with a full custom 300 WM. Mine is full custom as well. Borden timberline action, 26" #3 Brux, Jewel trigger, Wyatt extended box, Holland brake and Mcmillan game scout stock. My length using a Hornady compareter is 3.962" COAL is 3.718" I think. The COAL is going off memory as I have no notes with me.

What is design of the reamer beeman and broz? I'm highly considering rebarreling this gun this winter so I can shoot the 215. I guess I could shoot them now but I'm at sea level and want to make sure I get full stabilization and full BC out of this bullet.

My reamer is a PTG 300 WIN MAG TAC MATCH FINISHER .3407 NK .210 FB 1 degree -30. When I showed Broz these specs he thought it looked good. His only concern was that the neck was a little loose. When I ordered from PTG I basically asked for the tac reamer with a extra 50 thou of free bore. I am no where near the expert that Broz is. It would be better to check with him. I am at 1400 ft with a 1 in 10 twist. Works good as we built two 300WM with this reamer last winter. Both shoot VERY well.

I like to leave about .020 to .030" of bearing surface below the neck shoulder junction of the case when the bullet is on the lands. That leaves you with all the case volume needed to do what you want to do.

Jeff

Is this based solely on case volume when loading the 215s with H1000? Or are there additional reasons? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.