300 Weatherby????

A_Baker

Would this be a good round to build a rifle around to shoot out to 800-1000 yds? Ive got a Accumark that i would like to start modifying to get me out there. I thought i was pretty gun and cartrige savvy,but you guys have opened my eyes to how little i really know,so any advice would be nice. Thanks.

Aaron.

As far as the cartidge goes, it all depends on what you intend to do with it. If you are going to punch paper than it will be overkill. If you intend to shoot Elk, I'd consider something a little bigger in the 338 cal. If you intend to shoot deer, than imho it is fine. I honestly have no experience with shooting the cartidge and no advice if it is tempermental to load for, but I am a fan of the newer beltless magnum cartidges such as the RUM WSM and so on.

The 300 WBY is a fine round for 1K shooting targets, deer, and elk. Most would use a 200g AB at around 3100fps, or a 210g VLD at around 3000fps.

I have a vangaurd in 300 WBY and am using the 200g AB 83g IMR-7828 for 3075fps out of a 24" tube. This load is averaging .5-.6" at 100 yards, havne't got the chance to stretch her out just yet. This would hammer any elk out to 1K. Its not all that far behind a 300 RUM which pushes the 200g AB accurately anywhere from 3100-3225fps.

I recomend getting a good Leupold w/target knobs, working up a good accurate load with a high BC bullet and start practicing out to the ranges you wish to shoot game.

I shoot 180 gr Barnes TSX's out of my 300 WBY ULW.
I'm at a max load of 83gr 4831sc with 215M primers. Velocity is 3256 fps and groups at 5/8"-3/4" @ 100 yards.
The Bergers or Accubonds would be another good choice in bullets.
They'll hammer the **** out of anything in the states out as far as your talking.

The 300 wby is an exceptional cartridge that I have shot for many years. I made my longest ever shot on a deer with this cartridge at over 1300 yards near Alder, Montana in 1976 while on a hunt with Bobby (Eivel) Kneivel. It is very accurate and easy to load for. Like the 340 wby, I also like a lot, there is not a lot of difference with the ultramags. One of the ones I currently own actually shoots right with my two 300 ultramags. 3240 fps with the 200's and 3450 with the 180's. But it is one of those special barrels way outside the lines. I need to have that thing examined to see how it does it. But I just enjoy it. The 300 wby has been a great rifle for 50 years and still nothing beats it by much with accuracy or velocity. The 30-378 wby gets it by 200 fps or so with the 200. But honestly is an animal going to know the difference between 2200 fps or 2000 fps way out there. I have killed elk with handguns slower than that.

I have two 300 WBY's, one is a custom gun I built 12 years ago. The 300 WBY is one of the most inherently accurate cartridges there is for long range shooting. The proof of this is the equipment list at the 1000 yard shoots around the country, you see the 300 WBY pretty often. I shoot 80 gr. of 7828, Berger 210's at 3000 fps.....very accurate.

Thanks for all the replies. I just sold an Accumark,but i happen to have another(in 300 WBY)that i want to start making into a dedicated long range rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.