300 wby help

I have had several .300 's and I tried just about everything bullet wise ans could never really get them to shoot,then one day I looked at the cartridge data on all the different manufactures and looked at the minimum length and went from tere,if it said 3.525 that is where I started 3 at that length and then would go to 3 at 3.535, out to 0nly 3.550 and would find the best load ed length then play with powder amount and different primers. Remember your first shot counts, your second is in a hurry and you 3rd at running game is a wounded animal , be a cool shot!! One of my best loads would cluster 180 Sreer's at 3165, s.d. 4.55 and group 3 in 1/2 inch center to center at 100 , Pete

208 Amax and H1000 work like magic in my 300 WTBY. To be honest i wouldnt change it but I did just pick up a ultralight and I am going to try hammer bullets in it hopefully in 150-180 gr range for deer.

Id be interested to know what the rifle shot before the barrel was replaced? Did smith change anything else about rifle besides the barrel? Just thinking out loud...

First thing I would do, is put a new or proven scope on the rifle to see if that's the problem. Make sure your bases are tight and not just bottomed out. I've seen bases move around while tight because the base screw was bottomed out, too long for the action.Over the years I have Returned five Leopold Scopes for various issues.

Hi there, I have a Montana rifle in 300 wby, I just had a #3 Bartlien barrel installed by a very good gunsmith. It has a great tigger and is bedded in the factory Montana stock. I broke the barrel in per the instructions. H-4831, IMR 4350 and a box of factory wby 180 ammo. I can't get the gun to shoot! It's a 1 in 10 twist. I cleaned real well with CR-10, then ran JB Bore Paste down the barrel, then cleaned again and oiled. the bullet I'm trying to get to shoot is a 168 accubond long range. The scope is a 4.5x14 leupold, Warne bases and Leupold PRW rings. I loaded a bunch more with IMR 7828, R-19, and AA-3100. Now, by the way, during break in the barrel was very very filthy. I'm hoping that the JB Bore Paste helps. I seat the bullets so it clears the magazine for magazine clearance purposes. All bases, rings and scope are top notch and tight. I'm told that IMR 7828 is the go to powder? Any tips? Maybe takes awhile to break in? I'm letting the barrel cool after a few shots as well. Thanks for any tips at all to get this going.
Try match grade magnum rifle primers, it is a magnum caliber. RL 22 or RL 23.

208 Amax and H1000 work like magic in my 300 WTBY. To be honest i wouldnt change it but I did just pick up a ultralight and I am going to try hammer bullets in it hopefully in 150-180 gr range for deer.

Id be interested to know what the rifle shot before the barrel was replaced? Did smith change anything else about rifle besides the barrel? Just thinking out loud...
Just barrel bases are good, rings are good, scope is new, I have to play with it more

I've put thousands of rounds down the tube of my .300 Wby. Mine likes H-4831SC with 215GM primers and a 180 TTSX bullet. It did take a while to find the right recipe. Great performance too on everything from steenbok to moose and eland. Mine is in a recently rebarreled Wby factory tube with a ridiculous amount of freebore. When I do my part, it'll do just over 0.500" at 100 yards, but 5-shot groups open up when the barrel gets hot.

As others have said, before you get too worked up, take a closelook at everything else - scope, mounts, technique, etc. I never got factory ammo to shoot all that well (+/- 1 MOA), so that might be contributing. Besides, that stuff is EXPENSIVE.

Be careful what you use to clean the barrel. It's an old saying that more barrels have been ruined than improved by overzealous attempts at getting them spotless. A bit of carbon after a few shots isn't unusual, but it should clean out easily.

One final thing - I've had plenty of issues with "new" scopes before. Break it down and work the problem. I very much doubt it's the barrel.

Hi there, I have a Montana rifle in 300 wby, I just had a #3 Bartlien barrel installed by a very good gunsmith. It has a great tigger and is bedded in the factory Montana stock. I broke the barrel in per the instructions. H-4831, IMR 4350 and a box of factory wby 180 ammo. I can't get the gun to shoot! It's a 1 in 10 twist. I cleaned real well with CR-10, then ran JB Bore Paste down the barrel, then cleaned again and oiled. the bullet I'm trying to get to shoot is a 168 accubond long range. The scope is a 4.5x14 leupold, Warne bases and Leupold PRW rings. I loaded a bunch more with IMR 7828, R-19, and AA-3100. Now, by the way, during break in the barrel was very very filthy. I'm hoping that the JB Bore Paste helps. I seat the bullets so it clears the magazine for magazine clearance purposes. All bases, rings and scope are top notch and tight. I'm told that IMR 7828 is the go to powder? Any tips? Maybe takes awhile to break in? I'm letting the barrel cool after a few shots as well. Thanks for any tips at all to get this going.
H4350 or H1000.....try 208 or 212 gr Hornady

I never could get my 300WB to shoot my hand loads as fast as the Weatherby Supreme factory ammo using 180gr Partitions. I dearly wanted a good 200 he load. I did get excellent accuracy using match primers rather than magnum primers. I also found I got considerable mirage with the 14 power Leupold like you have and settled on a 3-1/2 x 10 scope instead. I always tested loads in the summer figuring the heat would give me pressures somewhat higher than those while I was hunting. Break in may well take longer. Good luck!

I have a rifle that will stack multiple weights of Bergers and ELD-Ms on top of each other. It throws ABLR bullets all over the place. Maybe try a different bullet as mentioned to make sure that isn't the issue.

I never could get my 300WB to shoot my hand loads as fast as the Weatherby Supreme factory ammo using 180gr Partitions. I dearly wanted a good 200 he load. I did get excellent accuracy using match primers rather than magnum primers. I also found I got considerable mirage with the 14 power Leupold like you have and settled on a 3-1/2 x 10 scope instead. I always tested loads in the summer figuring the heat would give me pressures somewhat higher than those while I was hunting. Break in may well take longer. Good luck!
I shoot on 11x all the time, I will try magnum match primers

I am with everyone who said to try bullets other than the ABLR & to try IMR 7828 with 180 grain bullets. IMHO, the ABLR is a VERY finicky bullet to get shooting well.....
The last .300 WBY I had was a black pad Ruger #1B.
i was the second owner. When I bought it I was not currently in possession of any 300 WBY dies so I bought a couple boxes of factory 165 TSX ammo. Rifle was shooting about 3.5" at 100 yard to start with after I THOUGHT the barrel was clean. Ended up using CR10 until patches came out WHITE and same ammo shot consistently in 1/2" to 5/8" range. Difference was nothing short of miraculous. I ended up shooting 180 TTSX bullets with a max charge of IMR 7828. It was as accurate with that load as the factory stuff was....

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but the accubond long range is a very finicky bullet. I have a couple rifles that will shoot sub 1/4 Moa with multiple different bullets that will not shoot the accubond long range bullets under 2 inches at 100yrds. On the other hand, some rifles love them. It's a very long bullet with very little bearing surface (not a lot of the bullet touches the barrel). Try some regular accubonds (lots of bearing surface), eld-m, seirra game kings or game changers, federal tlr, SST's or the barnes of your choice. Let the rifle tell you what it likes. I used to get so frustrated trying to figure out what was wrong when my rifle wouldn't shoot a particular bullet. Some barrel's, twist rate, throat/ free bore combinations just don't like certain bullets. Look up some weatherby chamber reamer drawings and you'll see they are quite different in the throat area than other cartridges. I did notice the 6.5-300wby uses a short, steep lead angle throat like many other modern day cartridges.

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.