300 wby help

I have a Montana Rifle action with a Lilja barrel in 300 Wby. I've never shot anything under 180 gr, but the 180 Gr shined with 7828. Any heavier and Retumbo or H1000 would shine. Currently shooting 212 ELD-X with Retumbo. Great velocity and solid accuracy. Has worked great on a few elk and caribou.
Thank you, I will try Saturday when I get home

My .300 likes 84 Grains of IMR 7828 pushing a 168 grain ttsx (Barnes) but I started with the same recipe on a 165 grn. and 168 grn. Ballistic tips (.75" groups).
The ttxs brought it down to .45"groups.
I also had a hard time with Accubonds.
I'm going to try some 165 sierras I got start at 82 grains, thanks

Try fed215 primers 150gr barnes and reloader 22, never had any luck with 4350 in weatherby rifles, use a slower burning powder and fill the case to 95% capacity alway has worked for me, I have all the bee's from 240 to 340

Helped a good friend get a load for his 300 wby. If my memory severed me, we ended up with H4831, and magnum primers. To get ammo to fit in his mag box, he had a very large jump with his factory barrel, so we used a Berger Classic Hunter that was tolerant of jump- not the VLD's or any other bullet with a secant ogive.

IMR 7828 200 grain gameking and the 208 grain Amax, both shoot very well in a 300Wby Rem Sendero.
Personally I find the wby cartridges shoot better at the upper end, but there is a self confirmation bias wrapped up in this answer as I don't get weatherby calibers to shoot them at 'standard' velocities. Fed 215 primer for me.

Before you go nuts put a tried and trusted scope on and shoot again. (if you have already used the leupold you might have already ruled this out). I had what I thought was a problem rifle but it turned out to be the scope. (bloody good make too).

Hi there, I have a Montana rifle in 300 wby, I just had a #3 Bartlien barrel installed by a very good gunsmith. It has a great tigger and is bedded in the factory Montana stock. I broke the barrel in per the instructions. H-4831, IMR 4350 and a box of factory wby 180 ammo. I can't get the gun to shoot! It's a 1 in 10 twist. I cleaned real well with CR-10, then ran JB Bore Paste down the barrel, then cleaned again and oiled. the bullet I'm trying to get to shoot is a 168 accubond long range. The scope is a 4.5x14 leupold, Warne bases and Leupold PRW rings. I loaded a bunch more with IMR 7828, R-19, and AA-3100. Now, by the way, during break in the barrel was very very filthy. I'm hoping that the JB Bore Paste helps. I seat the bullets so it clears the magazine for magazine clearance purposes. All bases, rings and scope are top notch and tight. I'm told that IMR 7828 is the go to powder? Any tips? Maybe takes awhile to break in? I'm letting the barrel cool after a few shots as well. Thanks for any tips at all to get this going.
The 300 Weatherby is hard to duplicate factory loads. Get a box of factory ammo and feed it thru the rifle to see if it is a load problem. If it shoots it ain't the rifle. I have a1980's Lazermark that shoots 3/4 inch groups but I have never been able to find a load that it liked other that factory ammo. I did put a muzzlebrake on it thinking it was me and now it kicks less than a 243. I had it done at Klingunthers in Sequin Texas.

The 300 Weatherby is hard to duplicate factory loads. Get a box of factory ammo and feed it thru the rifle to see if it is a load problem. If it shoots it ain't the rifle. I have a1980's Lazermark that shoots 3/4 inch groups but I have never been able to find a load that it liked other that factory ammo. I did put a muzzlebrake on it thinking it was me and now it kicks less than a 243. I had it done at Klingunthers in Sequin Texas.
Factory 180 wouldn't shoot either

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.